Betta Fish Forum banner

Please Read Before Posting in Betta Disease Section

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  kelly528 
#1 ·
I thought this might be really helpful!

If you have a Betta emergency, please do your best to help us provide accurate information in reply to your problem.

Please try to provide the following information:

Tank

Size: (dimensions or capacity. Please state if gallons, whether UK or US)

Age: (how long has the tank been running and how was it cycled?)

Filtration: (what filtration do you use? What media and how often do you change pads?)

Stocking: (what fish do you have in the tank and when were they added? Were they quarantined beforehand?)

Water Stats: (the most important stats are for Ammonia, NitrITE and NitrATE. Also useful are PH, GH and KH but not crucial)

Heating: (what temperature do you keep the tank at? Have you had any fluctuations in temperature recently, maybe due to a power cut?)

Husbandry: (what is your maintenance routine? How often do you change the water and how much? What water treatments do you use?)

Medication: (have you used any medication recently? If so, what and for how long and when did the course finish?)

Feeding: (what is your feeding regime? what do you feed and how often?)

Other Alterations: (any decorations added recently? Plants added?)

Recent Events: (have you had a bacterial or algae bloom? Any other events not listed above?)

Fish - Please be as specific as you can

Symptoms:

Behaviour: (have you noticed a change in behaviour? What is his/her behaviour like? Is he/she aggressive, resigned, etc? How long ago did you notice?)

Are there any visible differences?: (any lesions or wounds? please state rough size, colour and location. Are there any growths? Are growths fluffy or mucus like?. How long ago did you notice?)

Toilet habits: (does the fish struggle to poop? What colour is the waste? Is the poop short lumps in a string or one long solid lump? How long has it been like this?)

Eating: (is your fish eating normally? Is he/she having to fight for food? What is his/her weekly diet?)

Please also let us know which country you are in as different medications are available in different countries. For instance, some US meds cannot be bought in the UK and vice-versa.

Please also include a photo of the affected fish if you can. The higher the quality, the easier it will be for us to help you.

See less See more
#7 ·
Because when people have a betta emergency they just post in a panic. They don't stop to think "Oh maybe there is a thread here already that can tell me what's wrong." It's human nature.. they just post in a frenzy.

#10 ·
Lol my point exactly. Nobody notices it. So what difference will it make if we make this a sticky or not? Most people notice when they have free time and start exploring the site.

I can honestly say I didn't notice until I explored one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.