Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #1181 
logisticsguy

https://youtu.be/aMBy35o18yY
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #1182 
logisticsguy

This is Buckwheat a young giant that is being prepped for a March spawn with a sibling female with the exact same colors.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #1183 
BettaSplendid

Oh wow! Buckwheat is handsome! Galaxy betta.
BettaSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1184 
Witchipoo

Oh how I wish we could get fish into the states from Canada!
I talked to Linda Olsen about it. She said she's been trying to find a way.for years, no go.
Witchipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #1185 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
I have lots of variety in the color because I have intentionally thrown, blue , red , green, yellow and purple betta in a genetic blender along with as many recessive traits as possible. When I first started out my lfs that was buying said they couldn't sell 100 red fish. They wanted variety so instead of many spawns of several different colors which would be impossible I went this way as a bit of an experiment. It produces some really goods ones and some meh fish this way. One breeder referred to my fish as mutts lol but whatever. One mans mutt is anothers hybrid.

Glad you like the pineapple girls Hallyx. I'm jarring up a bunch of males from that tank today they are starting to get nippy. I have pretty good female giant stock now but could use another big boy from Thailand soon as an outcross. Importing giants has become so expensive here.
That is not being a mutt it is genetic diversity, when you breed red with red over and over you are actually making a weaker fish with a far higher chance of genetic mutations, some of which could be good but usually are bad, most people have a poor grasp on how genetics work other than how to get what they want while culling 1000's of fish. this kind of breeding is why the lifespan of the average betta is 3 or less years. I personally do nto agree with the type of breeder that culls the vast majority of their fish, but that is their choice, and by doing what you are doing CJ is how people do come up with new lines of bettas, who knows what might come out of one your your spawns, I know what will ,most likely come out of a red/red spawn that has being going on for 7 generations
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #1186 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
That is not being a mutt it is genetic diversity, when you breed red with red over and over you are actually making a weaker fish with a far higher chance of genetic mutations, some of which could be good but usually are bad, most people have a poor grasp on how genetics work other than how to get what they want while culling 1000's of fish. this kind of breeding is why the lifespan of the average betta is 3 or less years. I personally do nto agree with the type of breeder that culls the vast majority of their fish, but that is their choice, and by doing what you are doing CJ is how people do come up with new lines of bettas, who knows what might come out of one your your spawns, I know what will ,most likely come out of a red/red spawn that has being going on for 7 generations
Hey Stone! Thanks I enjoy not knowing exactly what the fry will turn out to be ahead of time, the surprises are fun lol. My fish never look just like the parents anymore, they turn out like 1 of the grand or great grandparents more often. I think the genetic diversity combined with probiotics and a better understanding of salinity's role in water chemistry has made a huge difference in fish health and immunity. I used to lose a lot of fish partly due to bacterial diseases and the inability to adjust to such high ph and hard water of imports. Lately its extremely rare for even a newborn fry to pass away here which makes the hobby much more fun for me and less work and worry. We had some weird but cool anomalies pop up like DTs in HM spawns and some odd color combos. The learning never stops with fish I swear. How you and your fish doing sir?
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #1187 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchipoo View Post
Oh how I wish we could get fish into the states from Canada!
I talked to Linda Olsen about it. She said she's been trying to find a way.for years, no go.
Ugg. Its just sad. I'm working to try to figure out a way. Crazy it is this hard for us to get fish across the border. I am trying to refrain from going on a rant here, it is so frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSplendid View Post
Oh wow! Buckwheat is handsome! Galaxy betta.
Thanks I like him too so we just started to condition him and his girlfriend for a spawn.