Betta Fish Forum banner

The Cycle is Done!!!

904 views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  RussellTheShihTzu 
#1 ·
After 6 (yes, 6) days of having water in my 10g tank and doing a fishless cycle with fish flakes, my cycle is done! Went to the pet store to have my water tested and had to ask the lady if she was sure several times XD I can't wait to put my betta in, I'd do it now but since its mothers day, my mom wouldn't be too happy with me hiding out downstairs keeping an eye on him. So excited!

#8 ·
I just recently finished my cycling too! I've been working on a fish-in cycle in a 20 long for a little over 2 months. It was the best day ever when it finally cycled, but now I am starting all over again with another 20 gallon

#10 ·
I've been doing a fish-in cycle this whole month and havent seen a zero yet :( Chum seems really happy and healthy so I know the partial water changes Im doing are keeping it clean but it sure would be nice if this thing would hurry up and cycle. Im using the test strips right now but I think Ima order the kit when I get a little extra cash cuz I wanna be sure Im getting the right numbers

#11 ·
Definitely get the liquid test kit. I had been using the strips too and then realized their readings were way off even though they weren't expired.

#13 ·
yeah Im pretty sure they are off b/c my tap water readings arent much diff than my tank water PLUS my buddy has the same tank set up at the same time and he didnt change the water for almost 3 wks (I finally went over there and did it for him) and his numbers were reading about the same as mine and I have been doing partial changes every few days for the last month so theres got to be something wrong with the strips

#12 ·
I put Mr. Magic in last night, and he is thriving in his new space! I noticed within minutes of acclimating that his colors perked up; his blues and reds deepened, and his green has more of a glimmer than before in the unheated .5 gallon. He loves to flare at me when I come through the door and did a cute little dance when he saw me coming with the food container. I see little groups of bubbles floating around, but I think there is too much surface tension for a full nest to form. He is loving it though!

#19 ·
themountain I would agree that this comment was not very nice and we have rules against commenting this way to the members. Since you are new I am going to ask that you read the rules for the forum and to please follow them. Here are the links to the rules. Thanks for your understanding and pm me or any of the other moderators if you have any questions on the issue or any other.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/lounge/bettafish-com-rules-48202/

Important issues part 2.

#16 ·
themountain, that wasn't very polite.

I think the tank is lovely, but I would watch out for the plastic plant because the sharp points may rip his fins.

#17 ·
Thanks 10asartin. I tested the plant before I put it in there. I didn't buy it personally, it came with the tank. I will definitely be updating the decor, and possible planting, once I have some extra money lying around. As well as getting a hood and couple of sponge filters. Just really tight on money right now. Much better than a .5 gal at least.

#18 ·
I highly recommend doing a planted tank. They cost a bit more to get a proper one going, but in the long run you'll have a beautiful tank that is very low maintenance.

#22 ·
Thank you for your apology.

There is nothing wrong with people keeping fish differently as long as the water is kept clean, warm and with adequate space to swim and hide.
Some cycling products do work very well...
I myself have full planted tanks, but this is a personal preference. Having gems and silk plants is another personal preference.

healthy debate is encouraged on this forum, however we should refrain from being judgemental of others and instead, try to offer advice which will benefit the community. please post with consideration.

Sometimes it's hard to say something nice, and at those times, it's best to not post at all :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.