Betta Fish Forum banner

"fish are friends, not food"

4K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  OrangeAugust 
#1 ·
So, do any of you fishie people still partake in the occasional (or often) flavoring of any kind of seafood? I find it very funny that I am just about as close to being a vegan as you can be without being one, yet I still occasionally eat fish (once every several months). It just tastes so good. I feel bad after I do, as I would with any animal based food, but I can't help it. My favorite is trout. *waters at the mouth*

I'm sorry, my fish friends! I really am!

#2 ·
Man...I used to eat fish in front of my bettas when they were in my livingroom. lol

I can seperate food animals from pet animals in my head very easily. I wouldn't go around killing animals, but I don't consider butchering animals for a meat store to be the same as shooting puppies. I am an unbalanced omnivore who leans more healing towards veggies and poltury because it's healthier. I've never been able to relate to feeling guilty for eating meat.

I've never felt the urge to apologize to my bettas for eating tilapia since they eat fish too (see the ingredients for NLS betta pelets). XD

#3 ·
Haha fair enough. I think it all started with me because my dad was and is a hunter and I've always had a guilty conscious when it comes to eating meat myself, though I never try to push it on someone else like other people tend to do.

#7 ·
if you look at their species personalities, most fish that are commonly eaten are jerks, so i don't see any problem with it. (kinda like how i'll eat squid but not octopus, since squid are much more mean-spirited, whereas octopuses are kinda like the puppies of the sea.)

#8 ·
The Ocean is not the cleanest place. I find Squid Adorible. Look at Tuna there population is rapidly decreasing. The BP oil spill really hurt one of there breeding grounds.

#10 ·
Love shrimp:) my grandma makes the best shrimp stew, it's to die for (roux, potatoes and hand-peeled shrimp over rice...yum). Fried shrimp is good too(;
But as for fish fish....I would much rather prefer to eat chicken. Sometimes we will break out the deep-fryer and get some tilapia to fry...again, yum. My grandma makes fried catfish sometimes. Other than that, every other fish seems to always taste fishy (like that yucky fish taste). My family is Louisiana-based to they fry up everything haha

#12 ·
now i'm wanting some fried shrimp stuffed inside oversized french fries.

#14 ·
not yet! :-D

#15 ·
I love salmon and halibut lol. It is a little weird, considering how much I love my fish XD But I already don't eat mammals so I don't need to be limiting my protein intake further. I grew up in a family that fishes and hunts though, so I won't eat anything I wouldn't feel comfortable killing and butchering myself. If I can't face that part, I have no business eating the animal. It would be such an exercise in cognitive dissonance, I don't get how other people can do it. Hence the only eating birds and fish thing.

#17 ·
The only fish I like to eat is Tuna and those fish at those Asian market when they fry it for you. Other then that I eat meat and SHRIMP.I LOVE SHRIMPPPPP

#18 ·
I have to take a Meats class next semester (for my degree) and one thing you do towards the end of the year is butcher a steer. You pick it out from the beef center and watch it slaughtered...kinda creepy but I think it'll be interesting. Maybe then I'll start eating more beef lol

#19 ·
Beef drives me nuts when it gets stuck in my teeth. I rarely eat stake and ribs because half way through it is hard for me to fight the urge to floss. X_X

And I still eat it anyway. Why must it taste so good? XD

#23 ·
What? Everyone is talking about shrimp and stuff. Makes me hungry!

#25 ·
Oh! Yeah, my mom is the same way. She loathes all things seafood, really.

#27 ·
lol, I'm a hardcore carnivore xD (I do eat my veggies... but meat is just too good) my favorite food is sushi though... or a really well marinated and grilled steak... medium with just a hint of pink...

Even the bible says not to eat sea food.
That is entirely false, but I don't really want to argue theology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.