Betta Fish Forum banner

What bettas should I start with?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  DragonTheBetta 
#1 ·
I had a Veiltail Betta a few years back and she lived with me for 4 years before passing. I'm starting up in betta care again and i'm wondering if there is a certain kind of betta that is a little easier to care for than others. It made me wonder when I realized some plants are easier than most.

#2 ·
They are all the same care. :) If you can find a plakat (short finned betta) or a female you should get those, because some of the bettas with big pretty tails may bite them if stressed or bored. Make sure you have a 2.5+ Gallon tank with a heater and filter! :D

#6 ·
I would just go with whatever betta you connect with. I don't really think one is easier then another other than long finned breeds may bite their tails. I personally love females and feel they have more personality. But again go with whatever betta connects with you. I have done that and haven't gone wrong!

#7 ·
You just have to keep the temp between 76-82 degrees, watch for all illness, and make sure you do regular water changes once a week or more (depending on tank size). Also, aquarium salt and a mixed diet does them well. ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been raising bettas since I was 7, and breeding them for a couple years.

#8 ·
Also remember that although bettas charm us with their little personality's and natural behaviors don't forget they will do about anything to commit suicide. Eat themselves to death, jump out of the tank, squeeze into tiny holes in decorations and get stuck, loge themselves under dividers... the list goes on and on so be careful. They aren't trying to kill themselves, they don't know any better and are curious.

#12 ·
I also have a plakat dragonscale. He's a shy boy, but he is nortorious for trying to burrow under things. I keep their decorations simple - plants and a large, open hiding place where they feel safe, but won't be trapped. I also use large rocks, like the glass kind you see in small tanks. They're just as pretty in larger ones and are a breeze to clean.

A wire strainer to rinse them off in during monthly full water changes is a great buy, too. I got a decent sized one for $1.50 and it helps clean them twice as fast, and twice as good. It'll help keep your betta healthier if you can keep his home cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.