Betta Fish Forum banner

velvet not going away....

3K views 50 replies 6 participants last post by  LittleBettaFish 
#1 ·
So Ive been using Rid Ich+ for a week now, and I can't see any changes at all. The only thing it's managed to do is stain my dresser, towels, and aquarium silicone. I increased the dosage to twice a day now, but is it worth it? it's not doing anything... how long does it take?

#31 ·
Didn't say anything about snails =S

BUT it did answer some other questions xD

I know I have to take the snail out because the bottle says to remove invertebrates, but if I take it out WILL IT REINFECT THE TANK? DX That's all I need to know >.<

#33 ·
It certainly might reinfect the tank - then again, it might not. Velvet is pretty nasty, and tends to get on EVERYTHING so I'd think the chances of having him carrying it on his shell are pretty good. Also, the coppersafe may leave traces in your tank that will harm the snail (or any new snail) that gets introduced.

#38 · (Edited)
Did the heater I swapped out infect the other tank even though I ran it under burning water from the sink and dried it? If there's even the slightest chance, what can I do to prevent an outbreak early on?

THIS VELVET IS GOING DOWN

@Otterfun, I found a small 4oz bottle of coppersafe o:

Also, I;ve been using the same gravel vac for all the tanks, did I infect all of them? >.<

Would AQ salt be a good thing to add to kill it early on just in case? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#39 ·
Did the heater I swapped out infect the other tank even though I ran it under burning water from the sink and dried it? If there's even the slightest chance, what can I do to prevent an outbreak early on?

THIS VELVET IS GOING DOWN

@Otterfun, I found a small 4oz bottle of coppersafe o:
at this rate, i think you will run out of 4oz fairly soon.
i am treating a potential velvet with one fish while in QT, glad I did not release it into the main tank. I am using a Rubbermaid container and treating with ES (some minor pine coning), Coppersafe, and Maracyn Plus (liquid) in case of secondary infection as per instruction sheet. I see that the QT water is clearing up. it used to be cloudy before I used the concoction above and when I was trying to figure out what it has.

#40 ·
Finally got some good pics! (yay for iPhones)

Sorry about the glare from the flashlight and flash D:

You can see it mostly on his fins, hard to see on his body in the pictures.

Attachments

#42 ·
Actually, I am not so sure that is velvet. My male betta has very similar coloring and when a light is shined on him or a flash from a camera he appears to have a golden metallic sheen. I really believe that is your betta's natural color as well. I have had my betta for over two months and he has always had this metallic coloring.

#44 ·
I'm not an expert, but I don't really think it is.

This is a photo of my boy and it appears very similar to yours. Maybe private message one of the more experienced members to be sure. I highly recommend Sakura8, they are very kind and helpful :)

#46 · (Edited)
It looks like that, but sprinkled all over his tail and some "glitter" on his body... Now Im thinking this was all for nothing. e.e

I'll see if I can get a better picture, he just moves so much D: lol

best one I could get:

#48 ·
No that I'm comparing the pics.... it probably isn't e.e

Sorry I wasted your time guys! D: I just wish I had had a good camera from the start, we could've avoided this whole mess. >.<

Well, at least all the algae is dead... and I have a sparkly fish! Lol

While I'm here, what should I do about his wilted fins? Just keep using the AQ salt?

Attachments

#49 ·
Actually, I would start tapering back the AQ salt as it can harm their kidneys when used over extended periods. Just warm clean water should promote fin health

#51 ·
Whenever one of my fish has had velvet, I notice that the difference is the velvet (or ich) actually sits over the scales, rather than on the same level as the scales (as natural colouring would).

Some of my fish have a lot of natural iridescence and will swim around clamped up, so I know it can be hard to correctly diagnose sometimes. Especially if they are showing signs that something is actually causing irritation (you mention him scratching up against things).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.