Betta Fish Forum banner

What fish?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
Hi, i am new here and i was hopeing for some advice.
I have a 30l biorb..i know they are not the best tank(found this out after set up)
but i have two female bettas and am going to wait a month before adding a couple more fish(i also know that i cant have to many fish in this tank).
I was wondering what fish are best to get,i would really like to get two more females as they are so lovely but was worried how the first two would react.
What about a male??
Would be grateful for any help here.:)

#2 ·
Betta aggression

Betta splendens are naturally aggressive. While most bettas found in stores and owned by fish keepers, are domesticated types. They still contain many traits that there wild cousins Have Such as aggression. Betta splendens are highly aggressive fish that are territorial and never should be housed together unless in breeding circumstances, or unless it is a female Betta sorority. A common misconception is that female bettas and males can be safely housed together permanatly. You won't believe how many times I've seen threads with. "new member here with issues!" and the information in the thread is regarding a lethargic male or female Betta that have been housed together. One of which has very ripped fins.

Some things to follow when considering placing male or female bettas in the same aquarium with complete access to eachother with no divider, and not in a breeding situation.

Disclaimer --- some or all of these combinations do not apply for grow out tanks, and breeding situations. Also. Everybody have a different fish, each witha different personality, not all bettas do not survive together. But as a guideline they shouldn't be housed together

Male x male combinations do not work out well unless the tank is heavily planted and 100+ gallons so each one has it's own territory. Aggression should also be constantly monitored.

Male x Female combinations shouldn't be attempted unless in a breeding situation. Naturally after breeding and when it's not occuring. A male Betta splendens will chase the female away, if she doesn't get out of his territory. He will severely hurt her or kill her. From the constant sight if another Betta. Both will be stressed

Female x female combinations can only work under certain circumstances. Only with 4+ females and a heavily planted tank upwards of 10 gallons should this be attempted. 2-3 bettas won't work as either 2 might pair up and kill the least dominant one or one will kill or constantly bother/stress the other

I just decided to make a little sheet that had, commonly sold, easy to care for and cheap compatible fish for bettas
if anyone has any corrections on this, please comment and ill edit it

Some Betta fish will NOT tolerate tank mates and will go on a killing frenzy when introduced to other fish, so if you do decide to keep your Betta with other fish. Make sure that you have a backup plan incase It doesn't work. And make sure that you add the Betta last, because this will prevent some aggresion. If you add it first then the Betta will claim its territory and then when you introduce the new fish the Betta will think that the new fish are in his territory and kill the fish

generally compatible fish for bettas

----Name of fish-------minimum tank size------minimum group number
Ember tetras--------10 gallons----------six
Habrosus cories--------10 gallons----------six
hastatus cories------10 gallons-------------six
Von-rio tetras-------------15 gallons---------ideally 7 or more
Pristilla tetras------------10 gallons-----------six
Head and light tetras----10-------------------six
Cherry barbs----------15 gallons----------------six
Neon tetras-------------10 gallons------------ Six
Neons tetras can be a bit nippy when kept in small numbers so you would need atleast 6 to house them properly with a Betta
galaxy rasboras------------10 gallons-----------Six
panda and pygmy cories------10 gallons-----------Six
most other cories-----------15-20 gallons -----Six
harlequin rasbora -----------10 gallons---------Six
non fancy female guppies------10 gallons ------- Three
endlers livebearers------------10gallons---------Three
zebra danios-----------------3.5 foot tank-------Six
Bristle nose plecos------------2.5 foot tank-------One
Bushy nose plecos-------------2.5 foot tank------One
non colorful platies------------10 gallons---------Three
glo fish----------------------3.5 foot tank--------Six
rummy nose tetras------------15 gallons-----------Six
glo light tetras----------------10 gallons----------Six
cardinal tetras----------------15 gallons----------Six
X ray tetras-------------------10 gallons----------Six
"feeder guppies"---------------10 gallons-----------Three
Khuli loaches------------------2 foot tank--------Six
Scissor tail rasboras-------------10 gallons----------Six
Otos---------------------------10 gallons---------3 - 4
Bloodfin tetras-------------------15 gallons-------- Six
Rasbora Brigittae-----------------5 gallons----------Six
Black neon tetras------------------15 gallons-------six
Yoyo loaches

Shrimp that are compatible with bettas

Ghost shrimp---------------------2.5 gallons --------one
Amano shrimp-------------------2.5 gallons----------one
Cherry shrimp-------------------2.5 gallons---------one
and a little note about shrimp, they are a hit and miss, some bettas are fine with shrimp and some aren't but all of my bettas have been fine with shrimp that are over 1 inch. I would suggest that a well planted tank with lots of cover should be used when having small ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp

Snails that are compatible with bettas

Apple snails------------------10 gallons-----------one
Ramshorn snails------------5 gallons---------one
Malaysian trumpet snails---2.5 gallons--------one
Pond snails--------------------2.5 gallons---------one
Nerite snails------------------5 gallons----------one
Snails are a hit and miss too with bettas some will tolerate them but some will chop their feelers off

sometimes compatible fish with bettas

---Name of fish------------Minimum tank size------minimum group number

male, and female Fancy guppies----------10 gallons-----------three
Sparkling gouramis------------------------10 gallons----------one
bright and colorful platies----------------10 gallons-----------three
Black widow tetras----------------------20 gallons------------Eight to not be as nippy
sword tails----------------------------2 ft. Tank------------Three
Mollies-------------------------------25 gallons ----------3
Lyre tail guppies-----------------------10 gallons-------------Three

Fish that are rarely compatible with bettas

Including information regarding minimum group and tank size for this part of the list would most likely encourage people to further on and try the compatibilities which I wouldn't recommend.

Serpae tetras
other bettas
SA cichlids
NW cichlids
Dwarf gouramis
Tiger barbs
Honey gouramis
Angel fish
Honey gouramis
Boesemani rainbows
Red tailed sharks
Any type of crayfish with claws over half an inch

Hope this helped!

#3 ·
Thanks for the very informative reply..i only purchased the two females several days ago and they are getting along very well..they follow each other all the time(but no chasing or nipping)So if i added two more in a month or so do you think that would change the dynamics? i only want around six fish altogether.

#4 ·
The sorority should be a minimum of 10 gallons, 30 liters do not meet this requirement. I would recommend just having one female Betta in there and some snails since the design of the tank makes it insufficient for other tankmates to safely fit in there

#6 ·
I would highly recommend removing one, but what happens it your choice. Sororities should be a minimum of 4 bettas. Any less will result in aggression amongst the fish, and having one being severely stressed which makes it highly likely to die from a disease the flourishes off of a low immune system which is caused by stress

#7 ·
I would have got more but i know its important to add just a few at a time..they are getting on very well though,no aggression whatsover,also have plenty of plants to hide etc.I have received such conflicting advice and i dont know what to do for the best.

#9 ·
Hey- we bred betta to be mean- many wild betta species do well in trios and mixed groups. :(
In theory, 30 liters is fine for a sorority- a long and low one. :lol: A bowl shape will not meet this requirement.
If you can find a 40 liter tank you can add some more girls, all at once. It's only been a few days so these females may not have claimed the territory yet but they will. Theoretically any new female added will be put in her place in the rankings. This can and will become harsh in the confines of a bowl, so I'd definitely get something more rectangular. Placing all your girls in a sorority, I can't say how the two original girls will react, they may or may not stick together more.
Species have norms- and as you've been told the norm for your current situation is that one female would be beaten to submission and constantly harassed. May have not happened in the stress of a new tank, but they may come around and realize "hey, why am I sharing my space with this loser?" :lol: Groups are more dynamic, an aggressive female has more than one target, and will usually tone down aggression once she's taught everyone that she's the boss. Adding one at a time gives the alpha a chance to break in every new girl individually, which for some people is fine, but in general we add them in at once and let them sort stuff out..
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replys.
I have taken on board all the great advice and decided on a 120 litre tank.
There are so many around can you recommend a good quality but affordable tank?
The two females are still getting on well(no nipping or chasing as yet)was quite suprised today how eager one was to eat..she jumped right out to get to my hand:-?
Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
I would just get a tank and build it up, a lot of things that cone with tanks are garbage, I have literally replaced every single thing that came with the 15 gallon kit, besides the actual tank, it was over a few months though so yeah. However if you don't mind and aren't as picky as I am, just get a kit.

#16 ·
120 litres is roughly 30 gallons, right? You could probably have 18 females on their own in there. ;) Or you could have less (maybe 6) and have some bottom feeders as well.

#17 ·
Just a quick question...my new 120 litre tank will be here Thursday and will be cycled for 4-6 weeks,so in the meantime as predicted my smaller betta is chasing the larger around a fair bit so would it be wise to perhaps add 1 or 2 more females untill they move to their new tank,i would redesign the tank and perhaps add a floating plant then add them together to lessen any aggresion.
I asked my sister if she would take one but she has a male betta in her tank and the pet shop are not interested in taking her back...its kinda weird the smaller betta being the boss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.