Betta Fish Forum banner

10 gallon betta sorority stocking suggestions?

7K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  ClassicCharm 
#1 ·
This will be a HEAVILY live planted tank. Here's what I'm looking at getting:

8 females
6 neon tetras
3 ottos

Does that seem okay as long as there are plenty of hiding places among the plants?

-Charlene

#43 ·
#6 ·
Are you sure you need an algae eater? Otos often starve to death because people think they are getting enough food from just algae.. Some times they don't eat it at all. Nerite snails are your best bet for algae...
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I would please reconsider this stocking option. Currently you are at 150+% and you would have to do a 50% water change a week. Which would stress any fish out, let alone a betta sorority (which can be finicky on its own) as well as neon tetras, and the otos. I would seriously think about a new stocking options. If your going to do 8 females, just do females. I would also just subtract the otos from the equation altogether.

#10 ·
8 females is a lot on their own in a 10 gallon. I'd only do 6 max.

#14 ·
Okay, so I've reduced stock. I am going to get 8 females and a handful of ghost shrimp. I don't have access to any snails other than Apple (Mystery) Snails that Petsmart sells. I'd like to use Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate that Petco sells for the plants but with pea gravel on top for aesthetics. Can I do that or will it hurt the plants? I've never done a planted aquarium before and since I am downsizing from my 8 tanks to this one small tank, I want something that will occupy me as far as trimming the plants and such. I will be using no filter (plants will do that job) and a small heater. It's been a while since I've kept Bettas and my room stays very cold. What temperature will let the plants and the girls thrive? I'd also like to look into preparing their food rather than buying it. Throw me all of the information you all can give. Do I have to use Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate or can I just use my gravel and liquid fertilizer? Will I need the Apple snail?

#16 ·
If you are really sure you are doing live plants and it is your first time, you are gonna meet a lot of challenges, I did. You also need to know that Ecocomplete needs the use of other fertilizers as well and root tabs. That will be a lot of money just for plant food, then add some good lights. For my sorority I have easily spent $300-400 in 6 months.

Reconsider your stocking plans again, bettas need space, the less space they have the more problems you have, max it at 6. I have 5 bettas in my 15 gallon, they love the space they have, don't cramp bettas together in one tank and expect it to work out.

Do you know how a sorority works? How you need it setup?

I am just asking these questions because it takes effort to make them happy. If you want you can PM me and we can talk more about it. You can also see my sorority in my album just to see how dense a sorority should be.

#17 ·
Lol I don't know ask her yourself. She has every type of algae imaginable though, lol.

Anyways, you CAN do 8 betta in a 10 gallon.. However this does add a lot of complexity. Lot's of people keep over stocked sororites on here just fine.
If you haven't bought the tank yet, maybe consider 15 gallons?

#18 ·
I already have the tank. The woman at Petsmart (like the Wikipedia of fishkeepers) said as long as I used my peagravel and liquid plant food and fertilizer I would be fine. I am purchasing a floral light for the tank as well. Can I stick to my gravel or do I really need another substrate?

#19 ·
Most pro aquascapers swear by pea gravel, you'll be fine. It really doesn't need any sort of special enrichment. If you get a nice light though, combined with ferts it'll help growth.

#21 ·
Well that depends on what plants you are getting. There are root feeders and column feeders. Though nutrients do transfer, under gravel ferts float into the water, water ferts flow into the gravel.
Avoid the liquid CO2 made by API. It can cause melt in certain plants (vals come to mind but there are certain others). I'm not sure why this happens but it does.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
8 2 inch fish in a 10 gallon? Along with ghost shrimp is over the top. Please, just stick with 5, 6 max.

#25 ·
I know - it's just that they will be much happier with 6. If you really want 8 you should consider upgrading to a 15 gallon.

#26 ·
I understand your determination to do 8, I still would try to reduce that. But I would have a few smaller tanks, some females are just too aggressive for sorority life. Try just the females first before you get the ghost shrimp.

#28 ·
Someone doesn't know what they are getting into more like it XD

As I said bettas were breed for aggression, they ARE AGGRESSIVE fish, they NEED space. Just changing water doesn't change the amount of space they have for territories, neither do plants. Just shooting down people that are already have sororities and know how they work is just gonna make you have a harder time. I hope you can learn to not be selfish and think about the fish...

#31 ·
Keeping up with the tank and setting up the tank nicely doesn't change the fact that the bettas still do not have enough SPACE. Adding live plants doesn't magically make your tank 15 or 20 gallons...

The people trying to help you in this thread know what they're doing from experience - I would definitely take their word! :3
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.