Betta Fish Forum banner

new snail disappeared :(

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MaisyDawgThirteen 
#1 ·
I finally got my petco to order some nerites and I bought 3 zebra nerites. I put 2 in my 5 gallon, temporarily, to eat the high amount of algea. That tank gets sunlight every day.

I put the other one in my 20 gallon which is not heavily decorated and gets no sunlight. It does have a coating of opaque algae, the oto is doing fine in that tank.

After a few days the 2 in the 5 gallon are doing great and the one in the 20 gallon has DISAPPEARED! I have one betta in the 5 and one in the 20 but they don't seem to care about the snails.

Has this ever happened to you? Do they crawl out of the tank??? I can't find it anywhere, not even an empty shell :shock:

#6 ·
They do crawl out but mine only crawl to the small amount of unfilled tank. They like to poop up there LOL.

Mine also like to hide behind where my filter hangs over.

#8 ·
Hmm.....I've had the same problems with my Mystery Snail....named Snailio, currently deceased.
When I was growing out my 2 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, I decided a snail could make a nice little change. Well, I only had a small castle (no animal could get into those teeny tiny holes, about 1/8 inch wide), 20 strands of Anacharis (spaced out evenly along the wall so that each stem was completely unobstructed, and big pebbles on the bottom. Well, that darn snail managed to disappear every day for the 2 months he was alive, and suddenly pop up, super-active, at night as though he were there the whole time.
It was really weird and I still can't figure out where he went.....Even during water changes he would disappear
???????????????????????????????????????

#9 ·
I just saw him crawling out of one of the 2 decorations I have in the tank. You guys were right!

But I swear I searched inside and out of that deco 3 times and no snail :shock:

Anyway, I'm glad he's not dead cuz it took me forever to finally get him and his brothers.:lol:

#10 ·
Haha! I have to feed my snails since I don't have algae. I have to hunt them down (which I need a flashlight to look in my fish's house) then I put them in a Betta cup with algae wafers & fish food and let them float until they quit eating. Little pains. My Betta willeat their food if she can get to the food so she made it all complicated.

#11 ·
lol. snails creep me out....... so I got a sucker fish... he also dissapeared.

and then went I went fishing for him he starting sucking on my hand and I FLIPPED out. He woulden't come off. Poor baby..... he hides from me now... :**(

#20 ·
My nerite just chills out on the side of the tank, o_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.