Betta Fish Forum banner

10 gallon Sorority?

2K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering What ur input is on getting a 10 gallon sorority tank. I have been doing alot of reasearch, and anywhere between 5-7 bettas looks like a good number for a ten gallon. AquaTank X Plus 10 Gallon Seamless Acrylic Aquarium - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart This is the tank I was looking at. Heavily planted with som mini flower pots and caves. Marble substrate (not the round marbles, the flat ones) Than I can purchase a thermometer, and some fake plants. I was wandering, can you mix tail types? I was wanting a few dif. kinds of bettas, but I wasn't sure. Also, How do I feed a sorority tank without everybody harming eachother? I was just gonna do betta pellets. What do you think of this idea? Advice? Also, before you go off saying that inch per gallon rule needs to be followed, not that many bettas, ect. I did alot of research, and this should actually work, They will all be released into the water the same time to avoid fighting as much as possible. 25% changes once a week! :-D Please leave quetions or comments!

#2 ·
In a ten gallon tank, I think you could keep 4-5 female bettas. Tail type doesn't matter. Its good that you are doing your research. :) The tank needs to be heavily planted, real or fake and you have some caves, so thats good.I'd say you should feed them like you normally feed a community tank. Try to keep an eye on them when feeding to make sure everyone gets some. I think releasing them at the same time would be good so no one gets a chance to claim the territory. There will probably be fighting while they are establisshing their pecking order. I'm sure you've read all this already. Good luck! I think different colors would be really pretty. :)

#3 ·
Thanks Dramaqueen! I like dif colors, too because I like to tell my fish apart, name them, and learn personalities and stuff like that! I Think I'll do 5 because from what I've read, in a sorority its better to be a little overstocked than understocked, so that we don't have any battles or anything! I am planning on a few real, and lot of fake plants (I don't have the pateince for a billion plants to grow! lol. I might not get different tail types, but I might, it just depends who I see at the store, I was think just some normal Veil tails, and then some crowntails maybe.I will try to get all younger fish so they will be less lykly to be aggressive.

#9 ·
Yep, it would! Thats I'm going to try! I have 2 empty 1 gallons, and I'll purchase a little 2.5 bowl while I'm at petco so I can have some temporary homes if they get really aggressive. I really hope this works! Oh, and This is just my opinion, but I think u should Def, Get a bigger tank! lol The more fish the marrier (as long as they aren't on the dinner menue) !

#12 ·
Sounds good. My only advice is to watch the entire thing REALLY carefully, even after initial introduction is over and the pecking order is established. I was looking into making my 29 gallon into a nice big sorority, but I've just heard too many horror stories. It's good that you will have plenty of temporary tanks.

Oh, and I recommend quarantining them in their temp. tanks before introducing them to the 10 gallon. I say this because if you plan on having any live plants, most medications will kill them along with the fact that all your fish will be infected. While you can easily isolate and treat a fish with say, fin rot, you do need to treat the entire tank if a fish brings in parasites of any sort. I rescued some guppies that had IP and I moved them into my 15 gal once I thought they were treated. Turns out they were still infected and I had to bleach the entire tank (and bleach-dip the plants which luckily all survived) as well as throw out all my expensive eco-complete. I just wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you.

#14 ·
ok, thanks Kim! I have a bunch of places they can go, but I always need my extra tanks or else I start scarring myself! I will put them all in on a weekend morning so that I can watch them all day. The only thing I'm concerned about is when I'm asleep.... So I might leave on their tank light at night the first few nights, but idk cuz it might stress them out...

#16 ·
I'd turn the tank light off. For the most part they should sleep, so there's less chance for trouble. If your worried you can do what I do if I'm worried about a fish. During the night just turn on the room light and peek in. It should let in enough light to spot any problems, but they won't wake up if you turn it off within a reasonable amount of time. If I leave the light on too long when they're sleeping some of them actually get grumpy with me! Prof. Lupin goes and hides in a dark corner to avoid the light, and the others sort of half wake up and stumble into things with their noses! Then they look at me like "what the heck mom, turn that thing off I'm trying to sleep!"

#18 ·
Prof. Lupin did that to me yesterday! He was just lying on the bottom completely motionless, then he woke up and darted back into the darkness. I mean, what can I do, I've got to turn the light on to get ready for bed!

#20 ·
lol! I agree! Oh, do you guys think it would be ok to keep the bettas in 2.5g bowls for a few days? I just want to qt them for a short amount of time to make sure they are healthy and stuff before I put them all together

#21 ·
Yup, just keep the room where they are warm. The most important things to look for would be white or gold flecks on their bodies and white, stringy poops which are a sign of internal parasites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.