Betta Fish Forum banner

Help with Cycling my tank

466 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Warhawk 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Just a quick question regarding the cycling of my 10 gallon tank. I'm at week 4 of my fish in cycling process with 50% water changes twice a week. I was finally able to get a API test kit last week and as of right now my results are:

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

I was hoping to start adding fish this weekend but until the ammonia goes down I understand thats a bad idea. What I'm wondering is would it help to do another 50% water change or would that not affect the ammonia and I should just keep doing what I'm doing for another week or 2?

One other thing I thought I'd add, I did the testing within 5 minutes of the water change. Does doing the testing right away affect results and if so how long should I be waiting after doing my water changes to test my water?

#3 ·
Also - you're fish-in and you're at 20ppm nitrate AFTER a water change? Or am I reading that wrong?

You're looking to keep your nitrates 20ppm OR LOWER if there are fish in the tank.

If that's your level AFTER a water change, do another water change tomorrow.

Then, test and watch your readings. Water changes should be done:
*25% when ammonia or nitrites reach .25ppm OR 50% when ammonia or nitrites reach .5ppm
*When nitrates reach 20ppm
*On maintenance schedule for your tank size when cycled.

#4 ·
To add to Greenapp1es info.

If your getting 20 ppm nitrate after the water change you should do another water change to get those lower.

On a added note test your water before you put it into your tank. You could have ammonia in your water supply. It's not common but it does happen and once you check it you shouldn't ever have to test it again but it is good to know what your starting with. If you do have something like that it could throw off your tests

#5 ·
I just did a test of my tap water and you're right its showing up as 0.25ppm of ammonia. This is without adding Prime to it first though. If I'm dealing with water that already has ammonia in it what is the best solution? Keep in mind I will be moving out of student housing in April so worst case scenario I can wait until then to add more fish.

As for the second water change I'm currently waiting for the heater to cool down and will update with my water readings as soon as I'm done.

#7 ·
I just finished a 50% water change and my readings are:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm (5-20 look so similiar)

Warhawk I'll wait and see if anyone else has any input but doing a gallon or so water change every couple days seems like a good alternative that I can live with.

With there being ammonia already in my water is this about as cycled as my tank is going to get? I've read a couple different articles on cycling the tank and they seem to say everything from 0-40ppm is acceptable for nitrate which seems pretty broad to me.

#11 ·
I would assume your tank is cycled but like Greenapple said test tomorrow and your ammonia should be close to 0.0

I do water changes every week and from my experience with my tanks that is about when they hit 20 ppm nitrate. I have waited two weeks but I don't sleep well when I do that.

How fast nitrate builds up in your tank is based on how much you feed your fish, how much waste they produce and what plants you have. But if you test your water once a week you will learn how fast things build up and when you need to do changes.

#8 ·
Your tank looks to be pretty well cycled. If your readings were right after a water change and you have ammonia in your tap, you are probably getting ammonia readings from your tap water.

Test your water again tomorrow, the bacteria in your cycle should have a chance to deal with it by then. That will give you a better idea of where your cycle is.

As for the ammonia in your tap - you said you're using Prime as your water conditioner? If you're not, I'd recommend switching. Prime will keep the ammonia from your tap safer until the cycle can process it along into nitrates. :)

#9 ·
I'll do another test tomorrow and give you all an update. Greenapples I am using prime. Would it make a difference at all if I dosed the new water with prime and then waited for an hour or 2 before adding it to the tank to help let the prime handle the ammonia? As of right now I'm adding the prime while filling up the bucket and putting it in the tank within 10 minutes or so.

#10 ·
Ammonia will still show on the test with Prime - it's just in a less harmful state. Adding as you are doing is fine. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.