Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Fish Owner Looking for Advice!!!!!

588 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sadist 
#1 ·
I just got a new betta fish (crown tail) from Walmart and I just need to know if I've been doing a good job.

I got him from walmart about 6 days ago and he's been in his new tank for about 5 days. He's been very active in his new tank and has been eating well. He is even starting to follow my finger around, but he still acts a little nervous around me.

I've been feeding him 5 pellets of Betta Bio-Gold a day, which he's always eaten all of. His tank is also filled with Aqua Culture Betta Pro water and has a water filter as well.

The main concern I have is his head. It's darker than the rest of his body, which is a greenish-blue color. I've also noticed after I got him that one of those dangling fins underneath him is shorter that the other, so I assume he somehow got hurt before I purchased him. And lastly, he likes to hide in this little "tunnel" I somehow made when I put his plants in, so is that normal?

I would just like to know if I'm doing everything right so far and if there is anything I can do better.

#3 · (Edited)
1. Unfortunately no, but I've kept the room somewhere between 70 and 80 degrees to make him feel comfortable till I can get one.
2. No again sadly, but again I'm working on it.
3. He is about 1.5" from nose to the base of his tail.
4. No tank mates.
5. Those are just some plastic plants made by aqua culture. I made sure they were soft enough so they couldn't hurt his fins. They also glow in the dark if that's important to anything.

These are some pictures of him by the way! Also his name is Ahab!

Attachments

#7 ·
alright, I can work with 1.5, but you really need to rush to get that heater, to be sure the water is nice and stable, to avoid llness.

Maybe somewhere like craigslist would have a little 5-10g set up for cheap, youd be surprised what you might find.

Ahab adorable by the way, what a cutie! looks healthy too.:)

#8 ·
His dark head is just his natural coloring :) I think he'll be fine once you get a nice heater! Also, make sure you keep his water changed enough for his tank size. There's a sticky somewhere (habitats area?) about how often and how much water to change to keep it clean for Ahab. He's a beauty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.