Betta Fish Forum banner

Is IBC worth joining?

426 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Warhawk 
#1 ·
I have seen the IBC (International betta congress) come up a few places and see that some people are members. Tell me what I am missing.

As a member I get the following

Local Chapter shows
Local betta fans in your area is nice but the nearest chapter for me is over a hour away so not likely to get there very often for shows or meet and greets.

Yahoo group
I see you also get access to their yahoo group. I don't mind yahoo groups but forums are a much better way to talk to people. I see the site has a forum but it looks like no one uses it.

Quarterly magazine
The magazine might be nice but without seeing what type of information they have might be a waste.

The $20 per year isn't a big deal so I have thought about joining to give it a try. I really want to see a benefit of the club but so far I haven't seen one.

Could some members fill me in on what I'm missing?
Can access the old copies of the magazine?
Do I have to be a member to go to their shows to look around?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be interested in this too, especially as shows are, to my knowledge, non-extistent in the UK. XD

#3 · (Edited)
It all depends on how much you want to get out of it. In other words you are an armchair member or a person that wants to breed for show. If you are the second there are infinite possibilities with making connections to others who show their fish. Notifications of events etc. all very exciting.
If you do not breed, like myself I find it interesting just to receive the magazine, and see people i know taking awards for their fish, and enjoy the online services. I also feel like I am contributing something with my membership dues to further strengthen the IBC.

I'm sure other, more active IBC members can give you endless examples of benefits and opportunities.

#5 ·
I like the magazine Flare. It has lots of interesting articles. The membership also gave me access to an incredible amount of information and scientific studies gathered over decades. You do get access to older copies of the magazine. You do not have to be a member to go to the shows and look around but I do believe you need to be if showing or selling fish at the auctions. Much of the interaction between members seems to be on the IBC fb group these days. Ive been a member for a few years and to me its worth the 20 bucks but may not be for everyone.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I do think it would be nice and worth $20 so might need to go ahead and join. I sent a email to the "local" chapter but not got a answer yet.

I don't like the facebook groups, I'm not on facebook so anything there is a waste to me, hope they don't move everything to there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.