Betta Fish Forum banner

Quick question, need answer

426 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dieselthedemon 
#1 ·
So i had to move away from home because of my stepdad needing to be arrested, so i moved in with my dad.

I brought my three boys, Seuss, Diesel, and Haru with me since my mom has enough going on without feeding my fish. Sadly, when i set Seuss up in his ten gal, fresh water and conditioner, and he died an hour later.

This is my question, he fell to the bottom and stopped moving, does this sound like something was in the water that killed him, or was it because i was in a hurry and but him in when the water was way too hot? maybe closer to 90 then 80? I don't wanna put Haru or Diesel in the tap water because i'm scared they'll die too and too much has happened lately for me to be able to handle that. They've been in jars for two days and i've been doing water changing with bottled water Regularly. I've taken extra precaution to keep them healthy...

I just don't knw what to do

#4 ·
what kind of conditioner are you using? a good conditioner should remove all toxic substances so it might be that the water temperature was too hot for Seuss as you suggested. did you acclimate him? I'm pretty sure that its distilled water that is dangerous because all the minerals are removed and bettas need the minerals. What is your temperature now?

#5 ·
i didnt aclimate him. i didnt even wait for the water to cool down. i feel terrible cause i usually do. i was just in a hurry and not thinking and dumped him in. i use prime, which is like 8 dollars for a small bottle so i should have known it could take out anything bad for them. i feel so stupid and like i killed him... i've been under a lot of stress lately, the night before i had to call the poilce to the house several times and was threatened by my step father... but still that wasnt Seuss's fault

#8 ·
You need to take your time acclimating them, it is not only for the temperature but to the different water conditions. It's a sad lesson you've learned, and I'm sorry for your loss. Just take your time with the other two and they will be fine!

#10 ·
SIP Seuss :(
Awww stress can really do that to ya. I mean nobody can blame you it seems like you had some rough nights with plenty of things on your head. But it might just be because you didn't acclimate him to the water. I really don't blame you. And you didn't kill him, You loved him but just forgot some things. Good luck with your other fish. I wish you all the best too.

#11 ·
Yes, it was shock due to the sudden change in water temperature. It's happened to me after a bag dropped into the water to soon... If it helps to hear it the death it causes is typically extremely quick. Sorry for your loss. Mistakes happen to the best of us, and that much stress certainly doesn't help.

You can safely use your tap water, unless you have a particular reason not to (ex- terrible well water). Your other fish are safe from the same fate, you've learnt and it won't happen again if the right precautions are taken (do you need instructions for proper acclimation?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.