Betta Fish Forum banner

Curly fin?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  roadrunner 
#1 · (Edited)
As far as i can remember Fishy has had a bit of curl to his top fin, ive watched it but its never turned black, its a bit more dull then the rest of his fins and it just looks a bit ragged. I change his 3 gallon filtered tank water twice a week 50%, and vac once a week. Its filtered and stays 77-82, not sure if its from being in a walmart cup for too long or if it will eventually repair. Long as it doesnt get worse im okay with it, i just feel a bit paranoid about it so it cant hurt to double check :p It looks a bit dark in some pics but in person with a flashlight its not black just dull and dark and its never moved down his body at all so im not sure.

See less See more
#2 ·
He looks perfectly healthy to me. I don't know where you got him or how he was kept before you got him in a proper home but some bettas get curled fins if they're kept in their tiny bowls/cups for too long. If he's acting normal and there's no fin rot, I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. He came from walmart, he was in a clean cup, they keep the cups twice as big as petsmart does oddly enough. But there were some on shelves that looked pretty gross. Not sure how old he is or how long he has lived in a cup before. Hes a bit lazy, but does swim actively a few hours a day, otherwise hes buried in his plants or sleeping in the front waiting for me to bring some food to him :)) My girl from petsmart is very active however, she does laps in her tank all day long. Hopefully its just different personalities and hes not laying around because somethings wrong. Hes always been like this and hes pretty big so maybe hes just old and slow :)) They both get live foods daily so they should be nice and strong to fight off illness along with their clean water. Do you happen to know if the curly fin could correct itself over time? Its been a few months since i got him out of the cup but no change with the fin, hes grown more length to his fins and became more vibrant though!
It doesnt seem to bother him at least, just a bit limp and ragged compared to the rest of his fins :)

#5 ·
it could be the hardness of your water. :p Zidane, while perfectly healthy, has horridly curly rays(he's a CT). Cup, my super-finned veil, has a touch of curl to one of his rays that just... never fused back to the rest of his fin. and, Dante's top fin was all.... concave, i think the word is. bowl-like. it was a dome. x: sometimes, lowering the hardness of your water helps, but i don't like messing with my water's chemistry. so, Zidane will forever sport those Shirley Temple curls. LOL

#7 ·
I havent checked it lately but i use treated 75% bottled spring water with 25% tap, my tap is horrible :)) Last i checked it was in the normal range though if i do that. It was curled when he got here so maybe it was walmarts water. Long as it doesnt bother him i guess its okay, i keep thinking their fins have feeling but if that was true they wouldnt bite, and fin rot would be painful, i guess its like the equivalent of humans hair XD

#8 · (Edited)
I think their fins do have pain receptors, because unlike human hair or fingernails, for example, it is living tissue and has circulation and repairs itself, etc. We may not know the extent of pain they might feel (well, I know I don't as I've never discussed this with Leroy... lol), but I don't believe they don't feel anything. They may nip their own fins, but this is most likely a result of some underlying problem causing this problem behaviour which they may not necessarily be able to control.

But it's good that you say your betta doesn't seem to be bothered or stressed by his curly Q fin. :)

#11 ·
You know, that very well could be it! I was looking through pictures of him that i took the day i got him and it was a bit ragged and dangly then but not so much, it it was also alot shorter and limp. Hes grown and it shows more so when hes flaring which is a common thing nowdays when i walk towards him :)) I checked his PH and its 7.0 and all other levels are in the normal range also. Im starting to think he is alittle older so maybe he was in a cup too long or maybe it is too heavy, for a veiltail he can make quite a spread i think :D Thanks :)

#12 ·
I would not worry, betta with curled fins is not sick. My water is very soft and one of my bettas top fin started to curl as well. It's because they are constantly growing and sometimes they start to curl. I've read somewhere it happens when betta is kept in small container. maybe it's a lack of some vitamins?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.