Betta Fish Forum banner

Java Ferns - Help

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Adastra 
#1 ·
I bought two bettas about a month ago. One is in a "Betta Tank" and the other is in a 1gal tank. I had originally put some live plants i both tanks and took them out when they started turning brown. I now have some Java Ferns ( four of them) but i have to idea how long they should be quarantined they been sitting in a bowl for... a week. So I guess when could i put the plants in the tanks

Also the one gallon tank is starting to get cloudy and it looks like my fish is getting sick. i do put a water conditioner in when i do a weekly water change and aquarium salt as well and i make sure no uneaten food is left to rot. I don't understand why the bigger tank is getting cloudy and the smaller one is not? I guess what are the best water conditioners for my tank.

#8 · (Edited)
For a 1G tank you need to be doing partial WC every 2 days and a full WC once a week for a healthy tank.

Ashleyy it doing in correct.I have a 5G filtered & planted tank for my Betta and I do a approx 50% WC once a week.

Also why do you feel the need to add salt to the tank?.It is not really needed unless the fish is ill.Dont listen to the person in the LFS they will try to sell you a bicycle for your fish if it means you'll give them your money!

Tomsk

#10 ·
I don't understand your need to be rude. I bought the salt as an additive and because I know many people who use aquarium salt even when their fish aren't sick. I personally am new to having bettas so it bought it to try it out. aNd i know how to keep the tank clean this is the first time its been cloudy I only wanted to know why.

#9 ·
I don't think I've quarantined live plants. I've grown the betta bulbs in a separate bowl/dish just in case they didn't sprout and started rotting, but other than that, I don't quarantine live plants.

I got Wisteria and elodea from Petco in those small plastic cylinders with the gel at the bottom. I just rinsed the plants really well so the gel was washed off and plopped them in. I'm letting them float right now to be close to the light. I'll root them in the gravel once they have grown a little.

If the water is getting cloudy and the fish is getting sick, then a more rigorous water change schedule is needed, maybe until he gets better. Every 2 or 3 days with conditioner for the 1 gallon would be good just so your sick fish will be in clean water as much as possible. This will help him get better faster.

Hope he gets better. Let us know how it goes.

#11 ·
I change my gallon jars once a week. I've never had any problems like that (but my jars are bare with no gravel or plants).

#13 ·
Sensitive are we?

As has been said, you really should be increasing your water changes. Changing the water once a week in a 1 gallon tank, or only changing part of the water, really isn't enough. At minimum you should be doing partial water changes every other day and a 100% water change once a week. If you only change part of the water, you'll never really get rid of that ammonia, that is why the 100% water changes are so important. Fresh water is key to fish health.

You're first post sounded like you might not add water conditioner to your water on a regular basis? If this is the case, you must add water condition (that rids the water of chlorine and chloramines) to any fresh water. I find it easiest to fill a 1 gallon jug of water and add the conditioner to that so I use proper proportions. I then have it sitting there waiting for me to use, and it's easy to make more.

About using the salt everyday. Some studies have shown that prolong use of salt (such as when fish isn't sick) can damage their labyrinth organ. This is still highly debated, but why risk it?

Overall, I would increase your 100% water changes until he starts to turn around. Make sure you use the water condition with each new batch of water.

#16 ·
No, but you should be like that to everyone because no one thinks the same.

I do full water changes every week and partial ones every 2 days because my fish doesn't like the water movement and freaks outs. I do add water conditioner to any water added and let it sit for a hour or two because I get those bubbles in the water now. I don't use salt everyday either only once a week and its about 1/4 tsp.

#15 ·
On a side note, when I read Tom's post it didn't come across as rude.. >.> He was offering you advice on not listening to pet store employees about things like water. Which is correct.. like Moe said, AQ salt is usually for sick fish and only for a short period of time. Now that you know that you can adjust your water, it's good that you've said something so we can offer advice.

I personally change my 2gal every other day to avoid having problems.. some fish are more sensitive than others to ammonia. If he seems fine after two or three days then by all means, do what you think you need.

#18 ·
Long term aquarium salt in wrong doses can cause resistant issues with pathogens/parasite and when you need to treat it is useless

Long term salt in some species can also cause kidney damage/system failure and you will see bloat issues for no reason

The number one reason you see/have sick fish is related to water quality

Freshwater fish thrive in fresh water

What is worse-stress from a water change or stress and then health issues related to poor water quality

In 1gal unfiltered containers I would make twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that any uneaten food is removed after feeding
Make sure and add proper amount of dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloramines, heavy metal to any new water added to the fish if on city water supply and try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent temp related problems

Often, once the fish get used to water changes when done correctly- they will look forward to the fresh water and water changes

Would love to see some pic of your new wet-pets and setup...also....Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...its an awesome hobby......

#19 ·
Also, what do you mean by "betta tank".. if its one of those 1/2 gallon pre-fab things you need to be doing daily water changes on that as well.

In the 1 gallon tank I advise at least two 100% changes a week, preferably more. It might stress your betta out at first but eventually it will get used to it.

As far as the java fern if it is turning brown it might not have enough nutrients.

#20 ·
It was only of those cheap tanks that are titybity. I'm looking for a different one right now the only problem is no one wants to house my bettas....(whole family thinks I've lost it :oops:) so i'm looking but don't know what to buy. thanks though.

@oldfishlady - thanks I'll work on it. right now they don't like cameras

#21 ·
You could get a plastic storage bin. They're usually pretty cheap and you can get a decent sized one. I have 5 gallon ones that I use for spawning that only cost like $4. Another good way to find cheap tanks is to look at thrift stores and yard sales. Sometimes craigslist has good deals as well.

#23 ·
I definitely agree with OFL and 1f2f.

The reason your water is cloudy and your fish are ill is due to three main reasons:

1. Water quality. Fish constantly excrete ammonia through their gills as waste--this ammonia quickly builds up in small containers and is extremely unpleasant for your fish. Ammonia is corrosive--it's the unpleasant smell in most household cleaners, and it can easily burn your fish if you allow the level to get too high.

The only way to safely manage ammonia in small tanks is through frequent 100% water changes. If you change 50% of the water today and 50% tomorrow, technically this adds up to 100, but that doesn't mean you've changed 100% of the water. There's inevitably some of the old water left over, plus whatever your fish has added to it in between--so over time, doing only partial water changes becomes less and less effective as the concentration of ammonia being left behind increases. I personally do not buy into the idea that changing your water once a week is effective at all--I would be changing 100% of the water every other day in a tank that tiny.

2. Temperature. Bettas are tropical fish that need consistent temperatures around 78-83 degrees to feel comfortable, healthy, and active. Since they are cold-blooded, their entire metabolism is dependent upon temperature. At room temperature, many bettas are lethargic, sickly, experience a loss of circulation, and digestive problems. Unless you have a dedicated fish room that is set to 80 degrees, you will need a submersible heater to help sustain the necessary temperature. Most quality submersible heaters are designed for use in containers that are a minimum of gallons in size--this is a big reason why many believe that 2 gallons is the bare minimum acceptable tank size for bettas.

3. Environmental Enrichment. Bettas, just like other animals can feel bored, scared, and stressed. They have the need to express their natural behaviors and exercise. It is very difficult to provide your fish with relief from boredom, places to hide and feel secure, and space to exercise and patrol his territory when the tank is small and relatively bare. Many bettas in these situations develop destructive neurotic behaviors such as glass surfing and tail biting. Others become obese from lack of exercise--a very common cause of death among bettas.

Honestly, the best way to remove the burden of constant maintenance and improve the lives of your fish is to upgrade to bigger containers. This doesn't have to be expensive--you can easily get rubbermaid/sterilite containers from walmart for only a few dollars. These containers can be heated and provide your fish with lots of swimming space.

I think your ultimate goal should be a ten gallon divided tank for both of your fish to live in. This will be the most cost-effective way to care for your fish, and easiest to maintain. One large tank will take up less space than two smaller tanks, will be more stable, and you only have to maintain one tank. Easy. Sometimes you can find an entire ten gallon setup (heater/filter/light/decor) for $20-$30 or even free on craigslist/freecycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.