Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #11 
Timmahh112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Not too late to change it. Just sit him down and explain it to him :)
LOL! touche...

as far as fish go im currently looking at dwarf gouramis, rainbow sharks, snails, ghost shrimp, and a catfish / bottom feeder of some sort... not all of them of course but as far as compatibility goes those seem like appealing options to me -- if my tank is large enough to house more than just the mighty Gobbles Sushi
Timmahh112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #12 
Timmahh112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
Ive got one snail in there. If you have the filter baffled. Good for you! If you dont. (like me) then water changes from the snails will kill you!
oh i didnt see this post!

filter baffled ????

then water changes from the snails will kill you! ???????

i thought snails cleaned... and baffled??? sorry totally newb here haha
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #13 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove
Ive got one snail in there. If you have the filter baffled. Good for you! If you dont. (like me) then water changes from the snails will kill you!

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...#ixzz2RcBjUAuJ

This one confused me too Can you elaborate BNRL?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #14 
BettaNubRandyLove

The snails produce a lot of poop. Well some do depends on what type. (apples snail/mystery snails. Put out much waste. I'm not an expert on nerites or pond snails but.... for all I know they could be producing substantially less.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #15 
Timmahh112

my boss is also into fish, he gave me some plants to put in and sushi is lovin it!! i also got the coffee mug for a temporary shelter... iv never seen him so active! i think hes also getting more color, but maybe its just due to the fact that hes not stuck in his little tank... thank you guys for the advice! Its greatly appreciated!

just realized the poor quality of my pictures -- i was excited :P
Attached Images

Last edited by Timmahh112; 04-27-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

All tanks need at least weekly-to-twice weekly water changes and water changes based on water prams of-Ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and Nitrate of 40ppm or greater-It is best to keep nitrate under 20ppm.

When you have filter you need to rinse the filter media regularly , vacuum the gravel weekly with weekly water changes
5-9gal with a filter you need to do Weekly 50% with vacuum. And since you want a snail in his tank you can do additional 2-25% water changes a week.
Filter and cartridge If it is an "all-in-one" cartridge that is filter floss with carbon inside, just rinse it once a week in tank water or dechlorinated water. Most of the filters use those kind of cartridges. If the cartridge becomes too old or starts to fall apart, put a new cartridge in the filter but keep the old one behind it for a week and monitor for ammonia spikes.
When you vacuum-Unplug both the filter and heater-Then plunge the vacuum deep into the substrate and as the mulm/debris clear in a second or two-move and repeat.
Once you refill with like temp dechlorinated water and turn the filter back on the water should clear within the hour-even without a filter the water should clear. If not, you either missed a water change, over feeding or overstocked.
Remember-to always wash hand well before and after working on your tank/Betta. And to unplug both the heater and filter...Safety for both you and your wet-pet.....

If it too much for you then you don't have to use a filter. Filters are optional for bettas. You can just alternate one week 50% , next week 100% water changes. And you need to acclimate betta when you do 100% water changes to new water temperature.

Food recommendations:
Flakes cause swim bladder issues more readily than most pellets. Use a high quality protein based pellet with the first two or three ingredients as whole fish not fishmeal or wheat. The flakes will also muck up his water quickly , that means ammonia builds up much more quickly.
If you can find Omega One betta pellets and New Life Spectrum for him. And always remove uneaten food. If you give him freeze dried blood worms , use them for a snack 2-3 time a week, they also can cause bloating.
Temperature: Perfect is 76*. You don't have to make it 80*. I personally think the warmer is the temp - more chance for infections.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #17 
Timmahh112

thank you for all your replies! i will continue to work on this and lurk on the site :) im sure youll hear from me soon ^_^