Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #141 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Hi, Nel. You're an old-timer now. Older than me, even.

Do a 50% wc whenever ammonia or nitrite rise >0.50ppm, or weekly, whichever comes first. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with every wc and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled.

Don't worry about nitrate. You have to be massively overstocked before it will stay above 20ppm where it starts getting unhealthful.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #142 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Hi, Nel. You're an old-timer now. Older than me, even.

Do a 50% wc whenever ammonia or nitrite rise >0.50ppm, or weekly, whichever comes first. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with every wc and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled.

Don't worry about nitrate. You have to be massively overstocked before it will stay above 20ppm where it starts getting unhealthful.
ty for the reply Hallyx, I doubt 3 years on a board is old timer but its not the longest membership ive had to a forum so far. there's a forum where ive had an acct since march 16 2006.

i'll keep an eye out for any nitrite, I did register 0.25 ppm ammonia at times but I do a wc if it hits .5ppm amm. prime is the usual conditioner I use anyway and an 11fl oz bottle should last some time lol.

nitrite is the last step if I remember correctly and what might be the safe levels again? I didn't know I could dose 1 drop/1g prime for a cycling tank. I relied on normal WCs when I did the 5g tank. I just added 3 drops to the KK just now so that should be ok for today.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:08 AM   #143 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Keep nitrite below 0.50ppm also.

You know what you're doing. I recommend that 1-drop/day of Prime as security. You know Prime's protection wears off in 24 to 48 hours. Seachem recommends 2-drops/gal every other day for a cycling tank. I think 1-drop/day is safer.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-14-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #144 
nel3

Quote:
Keep nitrite below 0.50ppm also.

You know what you're doing. I recommend that 1-drop/day of Prime as security. You know Prime's protection wears off in 24 to 48 hours. Seachem recommends 2-drops/gal every other day for a cycling tank. I think 1-drop/day is safer.
ty Hallyx, I don't mind putting some prime for security anyway. I found last time when Nitrites start showing that it could take 70% wc to get the parameters to safe levels. anything to keep extreme levels from showing is a good idea.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #145 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As far as I can determine, Prime does not effect readings at all. Both ammonia and nitrite are still there at the levels you read. The ammonia is locked in a harmless molecule -- also part of the nitrite, according to Seachem.

They say a large (indefinite) dose deals with nitrite in much the same way. I'd do a water change.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #146 
nel3

Quote:
As far as I can determine, Prime does not effect readings at all. Both ammonia and nitrite are still there at the levels you read. The ammonia is locked in a harmless molecule -- also part of the nitrite, according to Seachem.

They say a large (indefinite) dose deals with nitrite in much the same way. I'd do a water change.
I would also rely on WC to cut down the water parameters without.

I think prime might interfere with some water tests kits but its not a thing im much concerned with.