Betta Fish Forum banner

Is he in pain? Is it time to euthanize my poor baby? :(

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ifish 
#1 ·
So, my fishie has been not well for about 2 months now. He's gotten smaller and thinner, lost some of his color, and got a bad case of fin rot, where his entire tail fell off. I gave him some Maracyn last week, after finding out that such a thing existed. It didn't make him worse, but it didn't make him better. A lot of the time he just lies still, and he doesn't respond to me the way he used to. I also noticed he hasn't been eating some of his food. I'd really hate to put him down, but I guess if he's in a lot of pain that's the best course of action. So, do you guys think he's in a lot of pain and I should bring out the clove oil and vodka, or should I let him live out the rest of his days in peace?

#5 · (Edited)
I've thankfully never had to euthanize a fish (knock on wood) but I have read up on the subject, and there are some commonly used methods out there that are revealed to be shockingly inhumane... :(

One common one is the freezer method - placing the fish in a ziploc bag of tank water and putting them in the freezer. While a good idea at first glance, you have to consider the reality - because of the cold-blooded nature of fish, a decrease in temperature like this will SLOW DOWN instead of completely stopping bodily functions, thus leaving the fish still alive as cell crystalization and freezing begins. What a horrible and agonizing death that would be. The same goes for things like flash boiling. I had no idea that these methods were this heinous either until I read this article:

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737

It details acceptable and unacceptable methods of euthanasia for fish. It seems that the number one acceptable method is immersing the fish in a massive overdose of veterinary grade anesthetic.

Personally, I agree with AngelicScars, and I don't think I could ever bring myself to euthanize one of my fish - but it some cases, it would be inhumane of me not to.

I hope this is helpful to you in making your decision, and I'm SO sorry that you have to be making a decision like this at all. :( Your fish is very lucky to have such a caring owner! :) Best wishes (and as I do with all animals, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery!)

#6 ·
I agree with AngelicScars, I think making the fish as comfortable as possible is the best method. I find the methods for euthanizing fish harsh and cruel. I have heard stories from people who have done it, and their fish freaked when they did it.

#8 ·
wow, i dont think i could euthanize mine in those ways........i hope i never have to.

i hope your fish gets better!

#9 ·
i was going to do that to hydro but didnt jsut chenge that water keep them as comfrotable as possible but thos freezer things are cruel if you going to enthuse him just flush him dosw the toliet i dont mean to sound rude sorry

#10 ·
if you going to enthuse him just flush him dosw the toliet i dont mean to sound rude sorry
Apparently that is a really cruel way to kill them. Something to do with the chlorine, and burning their insides painfully, and slowly.

I'm really sorry about your fish though :( I do hope it gets better... fingers crossed

#11 ·
I know how you feel. I've been recently thinking about putting down my Vulcan, since he's getting worse every day, but I can't do it. I can't even think about it. I bought him, trying to give me a good home, and I've failed. I can't kill him on top of that. So, until he passes on, he'll be in my room, comfortable and warm as possible.

#12 ·
CodeRed, you haven't failed giving him a good home!! He could have been bought by someone who threw him in a half gallon container, never fed him but once a week and only had his water changed once every 2-3 months! He has a great home with you and has gotten great care and lots of love from you!!

#13 ·
Thank you Drama, but I still think I could've been a much better owner. I got lax on the water changes, and he quickly developed fungal infections and fin rot. No matter what I do now, it refuses to go away. Everyday that white spot on him grows larger, and his beautiful tail gets shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.