Betta Fish Forum banner

Early stages of betta hoarding

3K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
So I went to Petco today to get a algae scraper and maybe some ghost shrimp when I spy a nice selection of bettas. They were actually all in pretty decent shape. I didn't see any dead and alot were moving around some. There was this one delta fin he was amazing looking. I almost bought a 2 gal hex tank for $25 from there but then I ended up going to wal-mart to see if I could find that Hawkeye 5 gal. Turns out they only sell them online now. Does anyone know what filter the Hawkeye one comes with or if it's any good of a filter. I have heard it's a decent tank and I'm pretty sure I have room for it. I found a heater from hagen for like $13 and free shipping that is just the right size for the tank. One more betta can't be too much. This is turning into an addiction. I have an empty 30 gallon still but I would need to clean it out. I'm just not sure I really want to deal with a big tank right now. Especially if I move to Florida in less than a year. Moving 2 fish will be bad enough.

#3 ·
we'll be sure to send you in when he's got floor-to-ceiling tanks lining the walls of one room and garbage bags full of empty red bull cans piled in another to cover for the lack of sleep from having to clean filters and feed hungry mouths nonstop :lol:

#5 ·
I believe I meet the requirements also. I graduated from 1 to 4 bettas in 2 months and I'm now building a 16G sorority. (I'm also building a mixed community in a 75G) I have a tropical theme in my kitchen (which is where they all are) but if I keep going at this rate, it's going to look like I live under water !

#9 ·
I thankful got over my addiction to buying bettas. I can safely say that I can browse around the petstores and not take any new bettas home. I want a king and have a spare 5 gallon that I could put him in however since I live in an apartment and already have 4 tanks on display (20, 15, 10, & 2.5) I will wait.

#11 ·
I applaud your self-control and integrity! And I also wish I had those traits, too 'cause mine are non-existent.

My betta of 3 yrs died in feb or march, so I got a hm boy from the petstore... I was so in love... he died 2 days later... I waited awhile, and got 2 more from the store... 3 months later I have 15 bettas... call me a hoarder if you will! Lol my fiance does. :p
Oooh, you got it bad. I'll be contacting you soon with info for the Bettas Anonymous. ;-)

#10 ·
My betta of 3 yrs died in feb or march, so I got a hm boy from the petstore... I was so in love... he died 2 days later... I waited awhile, and got 2 more from the store... 3 months later I have 15 bettas... call me a hoarder if you will! Lol my fiance does. :p

#16 ·
Awww... my avatar is my Sunny man, who was "rescued" from Walmart several years ago. He only lived for 5 months, and had seizures. He was and still is my all time favorite betta. So sweet and friendly. RIP little buddy.

I have another betta that I JUST got who reminds me of Sunny. His name is most likely going to be "Cherubim"... He is a yellow halfmoon. :) My 2nd yellow. I will probably breed him to my female "Koi" betta, who is a HMPK- Eggitha. Here are pics. :D

Fish Organism Yellow Orange Marine biology

Fish Fish Tail Feeder fish Freshwater aquarium

#19 ·
Awww... my avatar is my Sunny man, who was "rescued" from Walmart several years ago. He only lived for 5 months, and had seizures. He was and still is my all time favorite betta. So sweet and friendly. RIP little buddy.

I have another betta that I JUST got who reminds me of Sunny. His name is most likely going to be "Cherubim"... He is a yellow halfmoon. :) My 2nd yellow. I will probably breed him to my female "Koi" betta, who is a HMPK- Eggitha. Here are pics. :D

View attachment 30342
View attachment 30343
He's stunning. I'll be totally honest, I absolutely loathe the color yellow, in fact I think I have a mental allergic reaction to it, but your guy Cherubim is gorgeous. His tail is almost a perfect halfmoon, too. Not bad for a Wal-Mart baby. And Eggitha is so cute, I love her marbling. They'll make a cute pair. :)

#17 ·
I don't have any experience with this exact tank, but I do have experience with the brand of filter it is. It is a Whisper power filter. They make pretty decent filters and air pumps in my opinion. The good thing is, is that the carbon cartridges are easy to come by and every pet store that has even a small fish section, should have them.

#18 ·
1 to 5 in just a few months and soon to be 6! + plus other fish (Platies and Ottos)! Don't plan to stop yet :D

#21 ·
See...I started with 1 at work, many years ago, and ended up with 10 in little bowls on my desk. When I left the job, I had to find places for 10 fishes in a 750 sq ft apt...with hubby, 2 adult pit bulls, a demonic cat, a 55L freshwater community, a 40T (piranha), and a foster pit bull puppy. I just got settled in a new office...and what was the FIRST thing I began plotting to acquire...? I got my boss to rewire the electrical in my office explicitly for my fishies. Fluffy may one day have to share his sweet digs...

#22 ·
Good lands, where on earth in that apartment did you and your hubby sleep???? On a pile of pit bulls? I'm surprised you found an apartment that would take that many animals, especially two bigger dogs like pit bulls. Apartments these days are so fussy that way, some won't even take two chihuahuas, let alone pits.

#23 · (Edited)
No no... we slept UNDER the pit bulls. They actually aren't too big and make nice heaters :)

We moved in with the fish and just the oldest dog who is almost 10, and because we proved responsible, they allowed the second dog. My girls are excellent PR for just how sweet-tempered a pit bull can be, and they were rescue-minded folks as well...thus the puppies were allowed (I raised 3, one right after the other, in that apt...).

I think I may just be drawn to a critter that needs a little more...management than most. ;)

But...I do not think the management really ever added up how many pets we had, either. I know they didn't know about the fishes!

#24 ·
I've always thought pit bulls got a bad rep, that it is highly irresponsible owners who are to blame for pit bulls who go out of control. I've noticed in many of those news stories about the homicidal pit bulls that the owners look like they're on drugs. So it's no surprise the dogs don't have the training and discipline they need.

Do you have your bettas in divided tanks or do you have a lot of small tanks? It sounds like a crowded but cozy and contented apartment. :)

#29 ·
Awesome. If i can get a spawn, I will post a thread with pics so keep your eyes peeled!! :D Yeah I rarely see yellows in pet stores. My fiance is from NJ- Manalapan. Are you near there?

#28 ·
But back to Betta hoarding I've got four a blue veil tail a blue-green-red veil tail female a white and red crowntail female and a blue butterfly delta tail male. Plus I've got a 30 gal full of guppies and ottos and live plants plus another 30 gal for growing plants, a 29 gal with a bloodparrot ad a bichir and a ten gallon overloaded with goldfish I start for my friend before she puts them in her pond. She likes to buy a dollar or two of 12 cent feeders and keep what survives and grows.

Plus a couple dozen Arachnids four cats a few snakes and two horses haha.

#34 ·
Yeah it is! :) I tried telling him Brick was a store (I thought that's what you meant) he was like no.. Brick is a town.. lol... *shrugs* Well if you like one of my fishies we could bring one down and make a family visit out of it! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.