Betta Fish Forum banner

Old to fishkeeping new to this whole world of betta keeping.

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  turtle10 
#1 ·
So I have had community tanks in the past. A 55 gal and a 30 gal, but that was two years ago. About 3 weeks ago I decided I would get a cool little square bowl and buy a betta because it would be simple and easy to take care of. I had one a long time ago in a bowl that my cousin basically decided she didn't want anymore and it lived like 2 years (even survived multiple suicides and accidentally getting beer in it's bowl).

So I got a little red betta from Wal-Mart. I came after they had just got a truck and he was the most active best looking one there. After joking around we started calling him Billy... and it stuck. So I upgraded him from a bowl to a little $20 one gallon tank from Wal-Mart after discovering this site. He got alot more active and basically goes crazy whenever I'm in the room. Probably the most social fish I've ever seen. He even turns his head if you say his name. I decided to splurge on him and get a 5-gallon hex by Marineland as I knew it was a good brand and they have good filters (got him a heater as well). I bought some live plants from Petsmart and got some black sand substrate and let it sit without filtration overnight because the water was basically black. So now I have the filter running and I added an awkward shaped driftwood piece I had bought a long time ago but never had in a tank.

So does anyone have any suggestions on keeping up with this. I have never had live plants. I bought small ones as they were cheaper and I figured they would grow fast. And I am also curious as to getting him some sort of tankmate.

See less See more
#2 ·
So I have had community tanks in the past. A 55 gal and a 30 gal, but that was two years ago. About 3 weeks ago I decided I would get a cool little square bowl and buy a betta because it would be simple and easy to take care of. I had one a long time ago in a bowl that my cousin basically decided she didn't want anymore and it lived like 2 years (even survived multiple suicides and accidentally getting beer in it's bowl).

So I got a little red betta from Wal-Mart. I came after they had just got a truck and he was the most active best looking one there. After joking around we started calling him Billy... and it stuck. So I upgraded him from a bowl to a little $20 one gallon tank from Wal-Mart after discovering this site. He got alot more active and basically goes crazy whenever I'm in the room. Probably the most social fish I've ever seen. He even turns his head if you say his name. I decided to splurge on him and get a 5-gallon hex by Marineland as I knew it was a good brand and they have good filters (got him a heater as well). I bought some live plants from Petsmart and got some black sand substrate and let it sit without filtration overnight because the water was basically black. So now I have the filter running and I added an awkward shaped driftwood piece I had bought a long time ago but never had in a tank.

So does anyone have any suggestions on keeping up with this. I have never had live plants. I bought small ones as they were cheaper and I figured they would grow fast. And I am also curious as to getting him some sort of tankmate.
Idols&A,

Plants are a great idea -- they help clean the water and your betta will love them. I have anubia and ambulia in my betta tank, along with some moss growing on driftwood.

I'd be very cautious about tankmates. I lost a couple of guppies to an earlier betta, who mauled them, thinking they were bettas. I couldn't even put in shrimp -- he flared at it, scaring it into fits.... I have a couple of snails in there now.

GB

#4 · (Edited)
The tank looks really good! The wood is big, but the way you have it set up is nice.

Probably not many tankmates to go with your betta in a 5 gal. When I first got Leroy, I had him in a 10 gallon and he was with some neon tetras and a couple peppered cories. They were just fine together. But, you probably know that the neons need to be in a school of about 5 or 6 +, and the cories need to be with several others as well, and 5 gal is just not big enough for this.

I've got Leroy in a 6 (+ a tad) gallon now by himself. I considered a snail, but I hear they produce lots of waste, plus the snail might get eyes or antennae eaten off. Don't want to do that to a snail.

I'm not living in the US now, so not sure what the shops have as far as moss.... but I'm sure you can find some out there, or on ebay, etc. To attach it to the wood, take the moss and lay it on the wood, maybe spread it out gently if it's in a big clump, and you can tie it on with fishing line. Sometimes fishing line doesn't knot well, so you could also use string or thread. Eventually, the moss will attach itself and you can remove the fishing line or string carefully.

#5 ·
I've asked about plants. I want to do a sorority in a planted tank. See this thread here for some advice: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=70604 Within that thread, there is a link about a good beginners guide to plants. It's pretty good. I suggest you check that link out too.

As for tank mates, I have a mystery snail and I really enjoy him. My betta bothers him every once in a while, but never violently. I keep a close look out for that. For other tankmates and stocking questions, I use aqadvisor.com. Don't know how accurate it is, but I've never had any problems what so every with it.

Hope this info helps!

#6 ·
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

The new tank is cleared up fast. And the driftwood in the position it is in is basically being a baffle for the filter output. I'm a little worried though. I have tested the water the past 3 days and the ph stays around 6.7-6.8. But I keep getting a .5-1.0 on ammonia levels. I put in conditioner and everything. Should I add more? I'm afraid to do a water change and risk adding more ammonia to it. The fish has not been transfered yet. I'm too worried he will freak out and die.

#7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Its hard to tell by the pic...but some of the plants look a bit like mondo grass an sometimes called kyto grass I think...this isn't aquatic and will rot and die polluting the tank....I would look up all your plants or post a clear pic of them and maybe we can ID them for you....some pet shop are really bad about selling non-aquatic plants as safe aquarium plants......

Is that an under gravel filter (UGF)..if so, you don't want to use rooted plants since the roots can get in the plate and the UGF won't work properly....moss, fern and anubia will all work well since you don't bury the roots with them....

What kind of testing products are you using...liquid reagent or strips....
what are your numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH for the source water and tank water...be sure and do a 24h degas on the pH too

What is your source water-city water supply tap, well water...etc.....

In a 5gal tank-its not big enough for any other fish except for the Betta...other tank mates that would work are shrimp and/or snails, however, some Bettas tolerate them and other don't.......

What kind of additives are you using if any.....

I assume you are doing a fish-less cycle since you haven't added the fish yet...what are you using for the ammonia source

Your tank look nice...I like the black gravel and your driftwood.....

#8 ·
I got the plants at petsmart. Idk what kind really. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. There is no undergravel filter though. I know they don't with plants. The tank is the Eclipse 5 by Marineland. I'm using water just from the tap with Wardley 3in1 conditioner which is what I know I used in the past. I haven't used any other additives though. I let the water settle for a day from the cloudiness of the black sand substrate.

Thanks by the way, I'm glad I came across the driftwood with my old aquarium stuff. It turned out quite nice. I still have a 30 gal tank. I'm debating on getting it back up. But I kind of don't feel like I will have the time. The 5-gal is enough. All these betta pictures make me want another though. I had know idea there were so many varieties of betta.

#9 ·
Its hard to have just one...laffs.....Bettas and aquariums in general can be addictive....lol.....

Petsmart is really bad about selling non-aquatic plants as aquatic and I wonder if this is your ammonia source since you didn't add any to get the nitrogen cycle going...have you tested your source water for ammonia.....I would make a water change on the tank until the ammonia is 0.25ppm or less before you add the Betta and then twice weekly water changes during the nitrogen cycling process(4-8weeks)...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots...or since you have testing products make the water only change based on ammonia/nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and once you have 0ppm ammonia/nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate your nitrogen cycle is most likely established....but I am sure you know this already....not tell you anything you don't know...lol....habit to post it...lol....

#11 ·
The grass plant is mondo and will rot underwater...the other one looks like either a crypt or sword...its hard to tell......I would google and see if you can find one that looks like it or if you have any names that came with them-post that info....did they come in the plastic tubes......

You added extra conditioner to help with what??/ sorry I missed something...lol......was it for ammonia...if so...did you check your source water for ammonia...if 0ppm on the source water....make water changes for ammonia....I don't know much about that conditioner....check the label and if it also covers ammonia....your test may be showing ammonium and not ammonia....testing products can't tell the difference unless they are for that product itself.....are you using liquid reagent or strips btw...you may have posted that but I can't seem to find the answer...sorry.....lol.....

#12 · (Edited)
It's fine. haha The test kit is an old one from a couple years back. It's a liquid though. I believe it's Doc Welfish brand. And the conditioner is supposed to get ph to 7.0 and remove ammonia and other harmful water contaminates. I'll check the water itself though to see.
I put in extra conditioner just to see if it would help reduce the ammonia levels.
And the plants, yes they did come in little plastic tubes with wierd looking crystal stuff on the bottom.

EDIT: Test kit showed ammonia levels in the tap water to be little to none. It had a barely visible yellow coloring to it when I tested. Not really enough to match anything on the chart though.

#13 ·
Good, limited to zero ammonia in the source water....that makes things easier...lol......

If the conditioner covers ammonia too...then most likely you are seeing ammonium the harmless form of ammonia.

Got any names on the plastic plant containers you can post.....

Water changes before you add the Betta to be safe......

#14 ·
I threw the containers out. :( I wish the receipt said what they were. They were on sale so I got them because I figured they would grow fast. And I doubt I can take them back. The closest Petsmart is like an hour. However I have a petco like 20 mins away that I could go and possibly different plants from. Just sucks that I wasted like $10 on plants if I have to do away with them.

#15 ·
So today I did a 50% water change. The water is much clearer after the water change. I really hope this helps the ammonia. I hadn't done a test on the tank he's in now until today. But the one he is in now is 7.2 ph with no ammonia detected. If it still stays up in ammonia on the new tank I may take these plants out and make a trip to petco to get some different ones.

#16 · (Edited)
FYI, Petsmart has a 14 day guarantee on live animals and plants they sell. So yes, you can take the non-aquatic plants back.

I did the same thing actually, I believed the dweeb standing near the fish section when he told me Mondo Grass was fine completely submerged and bought it on an impulse. When I got home and did some research, I realized my mistake, my wife marched into Petsmart, told them off for me (God love her, don't tick her off lol), and exchanged the Mondo Grass for Anacharis. The anacharis is going nuts in my 10 gal and 1.5 gal. I actually took a two inch clipping from a semi-healthy anacharis a few weeks ago and threw it in my 1.5 gal just to see how it would do. It's now six inches long and green as can be.

#17 ·
I would love to know how long it takes the grass to rot? Because I have a fair few in my goldfish tank and my brother has it in his tropical community tank. So far its been a month and mine is actually thriving and creating creepers. All I did was add a nail under the roots for extra iron to feed it. I found no dead leaves so far. And any that turn yellow I just cut off with scissors.

#26 · (Edited)
Take that nail out now, please. It will rust and kill your fish. That is not a safe way to fertilize/feed your plants.

Also, Wyvern, how big is your goldfish tank? Because it looks like your tank is very overstocked. Goldfish get around 10 or more inches long and require at least 20 gallons each with heavy filtration.

Idolsandanchors- it did look like your grass plant was dying so good call on taking it out.

#18 ·
Check the roots and give them the sniff test......but if they are growing and sending out runners you may not have mondo grass....it may be E. tenellus, micro sword, val or sag of some type....but generally mondo grass will rot and die starting under the substrate and then the leaves start to turn yellow in about a month or so..more or less....also if you ever do 100% water changes and/or expose the roots to air at any time it will extend their life under water....mondo is a marginal plant that can live short term under water but they don't get true submersed leaves like true aquatic plants and will die long term submersion....

#19 ·

There you can see the short grass that i have. It looks exactly like the original posters pics.

And they are thriving. I did my gravel vac today and the roots are looking healthy and white (before I add any plants to my tanks I go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure I remove all the dead leaves and roots). That is why I would love to know what it is called. Just very curious about it.

#21 ·
Since you don't have ammonia in the source water-the water changes should take care of the ammonia unless something in the tank is causing it or the dechlorinator covers ammonia and you are seeing ammonium the harmless form...testing products can't tell the difference...

Wyvern-I can't tell by the pics...make a new thread and post a close up pic of the plant and maybe someone can ID it for you....

#23 ·
Oldfishlady - I will take better pics and post them over the weekend thanks :D

Idols - I would take them out one by one, check the roots - white roots is healthy brown ones means its dying. I just trimmed my roots of all dead ones and also carefully removed the dead and dying leaves. And Ive noticed mine is pushing new shoots :D

#25 ·
So I took out the grass looking plants. And did a 50% water change. After waiting 3 days happy to say that ammonia test was clear today. I also got some java moss and some other type of plant from the local pet store today. I moved him over and he seems to love it. He has been swimming around the tank like crazy. He actually flared once and I have never seen him flare once since I got him.

#28 ·
He definitely loves his new tank. He swims all over around the driftwood and searches the bottom like he's exploring. I'm pretty sure he even started building a bubble nests while I was at work. I wish his tail would heal up a little bit. It's not real bad, but I don't think it's fin rot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.