Betta Fish Forum banner

mahachai bettas brackish or not

951 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  carpenter547 
#1 ·
i have been reading old information about mahachai bettas being brackish water dwelling bettas.

for this discussion and purpouses brackish water is defined as a mix of salt and sea water with an sg of more than 1.005 and less than full sea water.

i have not found any indication that the mahachai bettas is not brackish tollerant but information is not easy for me to find that is recent mostly they are 3 - 5 years old and talking about the "new betta speicies"

any links or information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

#2 ·
Sorry, I'm only familiar with Betta splendens... just thought I would bump your thread so the more knowledgeable folks can see it. :)

It seems weird, though, that a betta species would be brackish... I don't know of any gouramis that are brackish, and I certainly haven't heard of any brackish betta species...

#3 ·
i know that is why i am asking afore i do since i have a brackish tank it would be sweet if i could put bettas in it especially wild short finned types.

#4 ·
question gettting burried please....
Take This to Top

mabey new eyes will yield an answer

#6 ·
Most of our members, including myself, do not specialize in wilds and don't really have much information to offer you. I suggest checking with the IBC website and forum for wild type-related information. They should have the most abundance and accuracy of information. From what I've heard though, I do believe they're a brackish fish.

#7 ·
the big question is really how brackish since technically any thing over 1.000 is brackish as long as it is made with sea water. oh well i will let the thread die now since i am on wrong forum.

ps i did check the ibc but they use brackish as a be all end all term and don't mention the sg that is needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.