Betta Fish Forum banner

Additions to a 5gal

5K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  FrostSinth 
#1 ·
So I just moved Kevin Fisher into a huge tank, which my dad says is 5gal.

ANYWAY I was thinking to add some fish, as it just looks kinda empty just with him. I think the rule is one fish per gallon? So I can add about what, 4 fish?

I was thinking 2 zebra snails, 1 ADF, maybe a ghost shrimp? THOUGH I want to add a Bristlenose Plecko, which I know eat snails, so should I buy a more quickly reproducing ones?

And ADFs require different food requirements, so maybe not....

I'm really at a loss as to what and how many of each I can fit in my tank. Do snails count as fish? How about a ghost shrimp? Can I find all these at my local petsmart? What kind of nutritional needs should I consider? I'd rather not change my feeding routine or anything, the only thing I want to consider is algae and my filter and my heater, and of course the health and safety of Kevin.

OH! and price is really important too haha

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard zebra snails put a lot on the bioload. I would go with one or two small ramshorn snails. Ghost shrimp have basically no bioload so you'd be ok with a few of those but that about maxes our your 5 gallon. The one fish per gallon is not a good way to go. Some fish have higher bioload than others. For instance 1 goldfish needs about 55 gallons to be healthy.

#3 ·
Ok, so Ramshorn snails. I heard those breed like crazy, so could I get a plecko a little while later to keep them in check? and could I get like, one shrimp and a few little fishies? I want something that swims around too, not just chilling on the floor like the snails and shrimp.

Do snails need real plants to be happy?

#5 ·
ramshorn do breed a bit but you can just clean their eggs off the tank and kill them. Certain fish need to be in schools so going small isn't the answer. Snails dont need live plants but they do need algae wafers. Ghost shrimp you do need more than one. preferably 3. With a 5 gallon and a betta there isn't a lot you should put in there without putting all of your fish in high risk for disease. Pleco's grow to be big and require I think a 10-20 gallon, possibly bigger. I'm surprised I'm the only one responding usually someone else comes in too.

#9 ·
If you want snails I would go with a Nerite snail, they're smaller and have smaller bioloads than Apple/Mystery snails. Plus Ramshorn snails eat plants, no thanks. Nerite snails also can't breed in freshwater so you'll always just have one. :)

They feed off of algae mostly, so they'll do a better job of cleaning algae if you have any. Also pick up some algae wafers to feed your snail, be sure not to overfeed on algae wafer, supplement with blanching some spinach or zucchini, for that extra calcium to keep his shell extra tough!

If you want shrimps, that's a hit and miss. Most likely your Betta will kill them, so try to get cover for them, like some type of moss, or some hiding places. Ghost shrimps are scavengers they'll eat anything, leftover fish food, algae, etc. They're really cheap compared to other shrimps so I suggest them. Also with shrimps is that they molt, and during that them they're extreme vulnerable, a little poke from your fish could easily kill them. Supplement their diet with blanched vegetables too, spinach, zucchini, high in calcium stuff.

Also, no to the bristlenose pleco. They grow huge and you'll need a 20g minimum to house them.

Hope that helps.

#12 ·
+1

Zebra Snails are actually just a colour pattern of a Nerite Snail. I have one in a 5 gallon with my male betta. They get on fine. :)

#11 ·
yeah just to reinforce what they said

you can really only do the betta and snails or shrimp. most other kinds of fish needs more space because they need to be in schools/shoals, or they just have a massive bioload.

some bettas don't do well with companions. they might think your shrimp are a snack, or your snail's antennae are yummy worms. you really have to experiment and know things can go wrong. when i added my rabbit snail to my 3 gallon, i was convinced at first Swish was going to eat her antennae. eventually he got used to her and they lived pretty peacefully together. then i moved the snail into the 29 gallon because dang, that thing can POOP. anyways, sorry for the side track ^^; a snail or two, or maybe a few shrimp is about all you can add to your five gallon.

you should buy a ten gallon if you want to add more fish :K

#13 ·
Ok, recap of what I've gathered:

Snails or shrimp only.
Pleckos get to large.
Snails; I'd need to get an algae wafers.
Shrimp; may be attacked by my betta, but will eat left over food supplemented with zuccini, ghost ones are cheapest

Anything important I missed?

My plan, and hoping this works:
2 Herite Snails (maybe Zebra)
1 Ghost Shrimp (should I get 2?)

is that too many or is that ok?

#15 ·
I would stick with just one nerite snail. Snails poop a lot for their small size! lol

#16 ·
ok, one snail, 2 ghost shrimp? Does that work?

#20 ·
Well, I went to Petsmart today and picked up 4 shrimp and a snail.

Unfortunately, one of the shrimp wasn't playing it smart so Kevin killed him. I figured as much, but I still feel bad. Two of the other three are pretty big so they seem to be good at avoiding him and at least not flitting around in the mid tank like the one that got killed. I can't seem to find the third at the moment. The snail hasn't moved, at least not that i've seen.

ALSO interesting; I picked up two new bettas *headdesk*. Barnacles. Ah well. They are beautiful; a male HM and a female that I have no clue what she is. I think HM or P or both haha.

Obviously the new bettas are in their own little quarantine containers. The female didn't look too good at first, she was kinda head downing, but now she's better :D

#21 ·
What kind of a snail is it? As far as I know petsmart only sells mystery/apple snails which get HUGE. haha

#22 ·
yeah, its a mystery snail. If it gets too big, I'll put it in its own tank. Wanted Herites, but didn't have them :p

#23 ·
I thought so, Nerite snails are hard to find in chain pet stores, most stores just sell Apple or Mystery snails or snails at all.

I think it's still fine, one Mystery Snail, 2 or 3 Ghost Shrimp (since you couldn't see three), and one Betta. I'm guessing you've cycled the tank (hopefully), along with having a filter already, with the addition of some easy live plants like Java Fern, Anubias, anytype of moss, and Marimo moss balls, and some extra water changes you'll be able to house them with no problem.

Just make sure the snail has enough food, you don't want a dead snail, they smell terrible.

#24 ·
yeah, another dead shrimp found in Kevin's mouth. :p At this rate I might have to get more later haha

And I got algae wafers. How do I give them to the snail?

#26 ·
I'm pretty sure Kevin killed all the Shrimp cept one. I keep seeing him carrying them around. Guess he didn't like them :p

Doesn't care about the snail though haha
I'll drop a wafer in. how often to feed?

#27 ·
It'll take a while for him to eat the one. I would generally just leave it in until gone and then after a few days add another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.