Betta Fish Forum banner

I really wanna do this... Opinions??

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
I would really like to start a small scale betta rescue. No more then maybe 6 males and 10 females at a time. With 4-5 running hospital/emergency tanks up at any given time. Females will go in the big tank when they are healthy, and will be in a quarantine/hospital tank until I know they are healthy.

Males and females will be adopted out locally or online (overnight shipping only) when they are 100% to make room for a new fish to be rescued.

I will only rescue fish, not buy them, I will take them in from people who dont want them, or try and get them for free at a pet store if they are really badly off. I have enough tanks in storage from when I used to breed.

Would love thoughts/opinions, thank you!!

#2 ·
I think it's a great idea! My only suggestions would be make sure you are financially ready to care for the fish, especially if they're sick... and I'd also say have somewhat of a first aid kit ready before you start rescuing... with things like AQ salt, epsom salt, fungus clear, maybe an antibiotic or two... etc.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! If I wasn't at total capacity I'd take one of them!

#4 ·
Its really expensive to do this. I had one going for a year and a half.

You have to have a lot of tanks for QT do water changes like everyday, and have a lot of differnt types of medications on hand for any given fishes sickness.

#6 ·
I think it's a good idea!
+1 what metalbetta and Astro277 said.

Can't wait to see how it goes!
Maybe sometime in the future I could buy a Betta off u!

#9 ·
So long as you don't put dividers in the tanks! (Reason- If a fish with Velvet is put in with a fish with out Velvet... well, you know the result) You should read up on Betta diseases, too. Of course with sick Bettas you want tanks you can cycle so you rarely ever have to stress them out by using the net (dun nun!)

Good luck!

#10 ·
if you have time and the means to do this, by all means go for it!

#12 ·
no offence ment, but how old are you?

#13 ·
Good luck! Hope it all goes well. I just dont think enough people in my area would ever be interested in this if I tried.

I watched craigslist for weeks waiting for someone to post one for me to rescue. no one did. =[

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Betta Rescue!
YEAH!

Sorry *Blushes*
Had to do it XD

Should come to UMSL (University of Missouri St. Louis) where they gave out all those betta's (Which is how I got Drax) nothing but Deaths... even my friend who helped me with Drax at first... her flaming red dragon 'named Fred' just died yesterday.
I feel like I saved Drax from like a 'Death' Camp hahaha

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ugh, my college is the same way. Apparently some of the sororities at my school decided to give all their new pledges bettas... I try to offer advice when I see girls with bettas in our shared bathroom or when people comment on me cleaning my tank, but no one listens to me. I also offered to help one of my friends with her betta, but she wouldn't let me help her care for it or adopt it or anything because she didn't want to "hurt her sorority sister's feelings." *sigh* :( She litterally forgot she had a fish in her dorm and left it there over break :( :(

And a lot of people left their fish here over Thanksgiving break with no food, no water changes, no heater, and way to small containers.... one girl left her fish in a betta cube for nine days and the water was brown and ice cold :( :(

#17 ·
Thanks for doing this! I had to stop my rescue before it was started...glad you're stepping in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.