Betta Fish Forum banner

More Peas Please

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  okiemavis 
#1 ·
I have a couple questions about the peas for Bettas.

1) Will algae wafers or other veg. work the same way as the peas do?

2) I read that once a week peas can be fed as a preventative, is this OK to do?

3) does this work for other types of fish?

#2 ·
Peas can be fed every week and this is a good preventative for bloat and constipations. It works with pretty much any fish that you can get to eat it.

Other veg can be provided as a supplement but won't help with bloat like peas do. Bettas are mainly carniverous though, so don't take to veg the same as some other fish do.

#4 ·
cooked peas?

#5 ·
I have given peas to some of my fish. Never tried them on my bettas. To feed them, I get a few from the freezer, put them in a small bowl of tank water to let them warm up. Then I squeeze the pea so the center comes loose from the skin and let the pea go into the tank. I throw out the skins as they are too tough raw for many fish to want to eat.

#6 ·
I defrost a frozen pea. Or use a cooked pea from dinner (that has no butter or salt or nuttin') Pull off the tough hull. Chop it up real small and feed it to my betta on the end of a flat top toothpick or the end of a small fork tine. He won't eat it from the bottom.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I learned from this forum about the peas for bloat and constipation. And of course the first time my Betta crew even looked slightly bloated, I fed a pea according to the directions I had learned here. And all my Bettas, females and males, ate the pea. The girls were looking around for more.

The girls had also eaten pieces of an algae wafer that I had intended for the shrimp and snails. Needles to say, there was nothing left for the snails and shrimp. The girls ate these pieces after they had already been fed brine shrimp.

I learned to day from the invertebrates section of this forum, to put calcium in the tank for the snails shells. So I drop in a calcium tablet of the type recommended, well, what the girls didn't eat, they played with.

They also like tho pull the leaves off the Elodea plants when there board

Well any way, some of the above occurring had me wondering, so I posted the questions.

#8 ·
this will work with any fish right?

#11 ·
are there any other things that peas will help with besides bloating?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.