Betta Fish Forum banner

Worried about my betta

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm writing here because I'm worried about my betta.
I got him around 2 weeks ago and he's in a 5 gallon aquarium with an adjustable filter.
I was told by the people at the shop that they don't need a heater but then I did some research and found out that wasn't true; so I bought him one two days ago plus a large plant to match the smaller one he already had.
Since I put the plant and the heater in, he sits on the plant or at the bottom of the tank a lot. He looks healthy, eats, flares up and swims just fine. I test the water every day and the parameters are perfect and I cleaned the gravel and did a water change (35%) yesterday. But he still just lays on the plant or the gravel as opposed as before when he would swim back and forth all the time. I've been told he's just resting, but I worry about him constantly so I'd like to make sure.
Do you think he's okay?

#2 ·
Hi Reen glad you found and joined the forum its a great care to learn proper Betta care and to get all kinds of help. Its great you researched and found out they do need heaters, what temp is his water right now and is your heater adjustable ? Is he eating okay and what do you feed him ?

He might have done alot of swimming at first as he was getting adjusted to his new home and maybe now he is really just resting but I know how you feel I get worried if my Betta seems to rest alot during the day. At night they do rest and sleep and need a day and night cycle just as we do so no lights after bedtime at around 10 is when I turn mine off in the room he is in and the light on his tank I turn off at 8 after his evening feeding. In the morning I turn the lights back on around 9 and feed him.

Good luck keep up posted as to how he is doing.

#3 ·
Hi Perseusmom, thanks for replying!
Yes it is adjustable and it's currently at 78F.
I usually turn the tank light off at 11 or so and then turn it back on at 8-9. He eats JBL flakes for tropical fish, twice a day (morning and then around 5 in the evening); a normal dose separated in two smaller doses because he's kind of a clumsy eater and the filter ends up taking most of it away if I feed him the full dose at once.
I also make him flare at a mirror a bit every day since I read it is good for them.

#4 ·
Your very welcome ! Thats a great temp of the water to be it. Sounds like your doing all the right things for him. Have you ever tried the Betta pellets to see if he like those ? They are so much easier to feed and dont make a mess like the flakes can. Flaring once a day for not more than 5 mins is fine I am letting mine do that right now, he is all flared out trying to scare off that mean ole fish...lol

#5 ·
Ok, turns out I placed the stupid heater wrong.
My sister placed it right this morning but it seems like it hadn't been working at all during last night.
The water is gradually getting hotter but my betta is sitting at the bottom of the tank all the time (no swimming at all) with his fins clamped up.
Is it too late for him??

#6 ·
No its not to late for him, when the water does heat up he should be okay/ What type heater did you get ? Sometimes it first it does take awhile to heat the water where it should be, does it have a setting on it for the temp or a preset one ?

Be sure if you can to keep a check on the temp for the water okay.

#7 ·
Yes, the heater can be set up for the desired temperature.
I think he has swim bladder disease. He stays at the bottom of the tank all the time and when he tries to reach the surface he has to make a great effort and then sinks back down. He's also spitting out his food after swallowing it. His fins are still absolutely clamped. He only uses the pectoral fins to move around.

#8 ·
I seriously don't understand what's going on.
The water is clean and the parameters are okay; he doesn't have velvet, itch or anything else; I was sure he had swim bladder disease but he's not bloated.
I don't get it. He just stays on the gravel with the fins tighly clamped and moves a bit to get air, then back down. He also has some discoloration in the underside, over his belly. He supports his body with the tank's walls or plants.
I don't know what to do.

#9 ·
He might just be sick.. one of my newer betta (also got him 2 weeks ago) who came home popeye behaved like this at his worst.. he got to where he would just "lay" around and wasn't really interested in doing much of anything. His fins weren't clamped when I brought him home but they were within a week (probably less than that - maybe 5-6 days later), and I started him on antibiotics Monday and he's looking 75% better, the popeye has only made a marginal improvement but he's more active and his fins are no longer clamped and I think he's going to be okay now - but I'm going to continue the antibiotics for another 5 days.

#10 ·
Place a mirror near him. He might spring to life. Also, how if the current from the filter? Mine use to be strong so I used the wool from a filter and made it a less direct flow. I go a betta that only rests behind my filter, and comes out once and a while to eat.

#12 ·
I made this so it's clearer:

He was in his 5 gallon tank for a week and a half without a heater because the people at the shop told me I didn't need one; I did some research and corrected this 3 days ago. Before that he was ok, swimming around, eating, being active. Then I put the heater in and a new plant, and he was just fine at first. I also did a 50% water change because I bought a gravel cleaner that sucks water out. Then the morning after putting the heater in and doing the water change he started getting lethargic; spitting out his food and resting at the bottom of the tank or on the new plant a lot. Today and last night he just sits on the gravel with his fins clamped tighly. He swims from time to time to get some air at the surface but sinks back down instantly. He also developed a discolouration on his belly. I don't know what to do. I thought it was swim bladder disease but he's not bloated.

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes: Clamped fins, white discolouration on belly.
Behavior Changes: Stays at bottom of the tank, supporting his body with the gravel or plants. Only swims up to breathe and then back down.
Eating Habits: Spits out about half the food.
Other: -

WATER STATS
Ammonia:-
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 6.4
Hardness: 0
Alkalinity:-
Time you noticed the illness: Day before yesterday

TANK
Size: 5 Gallons
Temp: 27 ºC/ 80.6 F
Filtration/Aeration: Aqua Internal 100 at minimum

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: Once a week, 35% of the water.
Water Additives: API goldfish protect and API goldfish aquarium cleaner.
Feeding (food type/frequency): JBL Betta flakes, a small amount parted in two meals, one in the morning and one at around 5 pm.
Tank Mates: None

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when: Currently not feeding him to give him a quarter of a pea tomorrow.
Put Tetra Ammonia Safe in the water.

HISTORY
List any past health problems: Nothing

#13 ·
Hello!

Okay, looking at the information...perhaps some small changes can help.

First, for a CYCLED 5 gallon tank there should be a 50% water change once a week. I am not sure if the tank is cycled based off your information but if not then a 50% change and a 100% change are needed during the week.

Do you see any inflation on any parts of his body at all? Has he lost color?

The problem may be something in the tank. I recommend isolating him for a while in a smaller tank, placing him in a quarantine tank with nothing else but the heater and a thermometer. My boy acted similarly and healed after isolation just to fall to sickness again. It turned out the gravel was the problem, since for some reason it was making him sick and I believe its because there was something in the paint that was used to coat it that made a problem. I switched to non-painted "river rock" style gravel from PetSmart.

Do not administer medication unless you can determine what is wrong.

Also, giving a pea to a betta fish is controversial. I remember reading here that it is a goldfish only trick and it can have some sort of negative effect on a betta but someone else will have to support this information because it is a technique that I do not use. Betta fish are carnivores and giving one a vegetable does not sound like it would help, in my opinion.

I am curious as to the use of goldfish products...I do not have goldfish but I wonder if they are a problem? Since I am unfamiliar with them I cannot give a concrete answer but I would use a general water conditioner such as SeaChem Prime or API Stress Coat before using one tailored to a specific species of fish that is not my own but I am not sure if it truly does make a difference.

What sort of plant is it? Live or fake?

#15 ·
It's a miracle!! I came home from work and he's way better.
He's swimming around, though he still goes down to rest on the gravel from time to time but he's so so active it's unreal. Also his fins are slowly spreading again! I'm so happy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.