Betta Fish Forum banner

Getting worried about my betta =(

862 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  windfire 
#1 ·
So its been 3 days since I got my betta, and she hasn't eaten yet, before she was really active swimming around and now she hardly swims around and she just moves around the bottom of the tank and sometimes goes to the top and hides in her plant...I'm getting really worried about her and don't know what to do...she's been like that for a few hours now..

I've been trying to feed her everyday but she's not interested in her food, I changed her water yesterday because it wasn't looking as clear..was that a mistake??? She's in a 1/2 gallon at the moment while i look to upgrade to a larger tank :cry:

#2 ·
Changing the water was probably a good thing to do if it didn't look clear.
Try checking the pH levels in the water. Make sure it's pretty neutral.
ANother thing to check is the water temperature. Betta's don't like cold water at all... When I got Leliia (as she was sent to me via USPS mail, as lame as that is :D' ), she was freezing cold and hardly swam... in fact she was on her side. D: But after I let her sit in warm water (while she was in her cold bag of water, of course), she perked right up.

Actually, rereading over what you said, it reminds me of the pretty crowntail my sister Meggy has. He also wasn't eating, moving much, etc. His water was fine, clean... and Meggy did water changes anyway to make sure. It ended up that he had a fungal disease! Now he's completely covered in the fungus and barely alive... I gave her a few fast tips for helping him out, but we'll see if he's still alive in the morning.

The best thing to do for your betta is get Betta Revive. It's a tad expensive for .8 fl oz of medicine, but it really does wonders. I recommend you get this stuff and follow the directions on the back as soon as possible, if your betta does have a fungus disease.

Might I add:
Fungus diseases (as I read) are caused by the fish's stress coat disappearing or being at a low level. (I promise I speak english better than this, but it's 1 am for me. xD; ) Without the coat, it makes it easier for the fungus to attach and eat away at your fish.
Also, if you're not sure what to look for at the pet store, here's an eBay link for it that fully describes the medicine I recommend: http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Solutions-Betta-Revive-0-08-Oz-Item-71100-/360061614111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53d558381f

I really hope I helped. My sister's betta Valentino was gorgeous (as all Siamese fighting fish typically are), but it may have been too late for him. I'd love to know that I helped save a betta.

#3 ·
Thanks for the link!! I will make sure to get some tomorrow and give it a try...the temperature for her at the moment is 76 is that too cold??

Is it best to get the pH strip testing kit? Or which testing kit is the best?

Didn't realize they sent fish via USPS!! lol...good thing she made it safely to you :)

Thank you so much for your advice!

#4 ·
76 is perfect, actually. She should be fine living in water at that temperature.

Honestly I've never tested the water pH for my fish tanks... >> I probably should, but none of them have gotten sick on me yet. But if they were to get sick, I'd just get just the basic pH strips, as that's all one would need to see the acid/base level of the water.

And it was a risk I was willing to take with Leliia. She's a gorgeous dragon-colored female that I couldn't pass up. I would have gotten a refund if she arrived, but I'd still lose $20 for the shipping.... I'd be more sad at the fact that she didn't make it! But yes, I am very relieved she made it here alright. She's pretty feisty for a female, too. :D Maybe her strong will helped her in the journey.

You're very welcome, too! If you wouldn't mind, let me know if your betta's doing better!

#6 ·
76 is perfect, actually. She should be fine living in water at that temperature.
actually this is basically the lowest temp usually 78 is a good point but the range is 76-86

#5 ·
I'm glad she made it well, probably her strong willed nature kept her going on her trip! I think you're right about that :-D

I will for sure let you know how my betta's doing..thank you!

#10 ·
@karlhague, yes I meant slime coat. My brain only half-works correctly when I'm still up at 2 am.

@Abby, well, winter's about over where I live, but all the household bettas seemed pretty happy around 78 (my girl's tank has been at a near-constant 76) but when summer comes around it'll probably jump up a few degrees.
And I just read that immune system thing in several articles on the 'net. I don't trust everything I read, but it showed up in enough places, plus... what's the harm in being around the higher temperatures? :D

Before I get jumped for saying all these things on these forums, I'm also going to add that I myself am not an expert at betta care. I'm volunteering my knowledge and opinion based on experience and based on what my granpa tell me, since he was once a regular betta breeder. (Isn't now because there's no room in the house. :p )

#11 ·
my new male wasnt interested in food the first few days either you could try catching mosquito larvae, it really stimulated Apsolems appetite and now he eats like a piglet whatever i offer. or soak a pellet in fresh garlic juice i heard on here it stimulates appetite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.