Betta Fish Forum banner

changing filter cartridge/keeping tank cycled when moving?

586 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  freemike 
#1 ·
so, i need to change my cartridge for the first time. how do i go about doing this? do i just rub the stuff off the old onto the new? i also have a sponge filter baffle i've read those help with cycling too because it helps bacteria grow.

my other question is, is there any way to keep most of the bacteria alive once i move? i'll only be moving about 20 minutes from where i am now and i plan on immediately setting my tank up once i get everyone there. so is this even possible? i know some bacteria live in the gravel and others in the filter but once the filter stops will the bacteria just die?

#2 ·
The filter media should be fine for about 6-8 hours as long as you keep it wet

I wouldn't change out the filter media yet.....-wait at least a week or so...just give it a good rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water-I would do this before you move so that you can remove any build up of mulm/debris on the filter media that can limit oxygen and then float the media in tank water for the move to the new location.

When you do change out the filter media-cut a piece of the old filter media off the cartridge and attach it to the new filter media for a week-10 days to help seed the new media....

Generally you don't have to change out the filter media until its falling apart-unless you want to use carbon (not needed)-if your filter media is the cartridge type with the sponge and carbon all in one-you can cut a slit in the sponge and dump the carbon out once it is used up in about 2-4 weeks-depending on amount and quality of the carbon...or you can leave the used up carbon in the cartridge...it won't hurt anything and will even provide more surface area for beneficial bacteria....

Carbon use is more of a personal choice than a need in most aquariums-but its always good to have fresh active carbon on hand if needed.

Have a safe move.....

#3 ·
thanks!! i won't be moving for another few weeks. but i figured i'd ask now just so i knew what to do and if i needed anything special. even though it is 20 mins away it'll be a crazy move. ugh. so thanks again! :]

#5 ·
oh good point! instead of adding the water THEN treating. good point. thanks lol. :]

#6 ·
Yeah I felt like such an idiot and disappointed at the same time. The last 3 weeks of dosing ammonia and checking ammonia/nitrite levels on that tank for nothing. I even moved everything in my other tank and was very picky about the time it spent in the air and everything. Then I just dunk everything in the chlorine effectively cleansing it lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.