Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I fast my bettas once a week?

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Tree 
#1 ·
Hello! I have heard that some people fast their bettas once a week and that it's good for them. Do you recommend fasting bettas once a week? I just wanted to check before l do anything.;-)

#2 ·
I do it every Monday, and I think that it helps them get all that waste out, so they can have a clean digestive track for the next feedings. So yeah I think it is a convenient thing to do, especially if you see some bloating.

#5 ·
I don't fast mine, but I have days where I feed them half the normal amount of food. I've been alternating every day with pellets and frozen food, and it works nicely. I'll fast one of them whenever they look a little bloated, or if one (usually Opalo) starts looking like they have swim bladder issues.

#8 ·
If using a high-quality food like New Life Spectrum or Omega One, fasting is less important. If fed an appropriate amount -- not overfeeding -- fasting is less important.

But it doesn't hurt, and it keeps them alert and interested.

As Byron says: A hungry fish is a healthy fish.

#9 ·
Well, since we have Friday and a Sunday fasters in here, I fast on Saturdays lol. If I'm ever out, it's usually that day anyway. I just like to be sure they won't get bloated.

#10 ·
With my "normal" bettas, I'd just feed them half their normal amount once a week. Now, the 2 rescues that I have now both have swim bladder issues, so they get fasted quite often and only fed small amounts at each meal.

#11 ·
I have a boy that bloats if you even look at him wrong, (not really but you get the idea) because of this he gets fed every other day and it seems to work well for him... Everyone else will occasionally get fasted for a day or 2 (usually if/when I have run out of food and it takes me a day or two to get to the store).

#14 ·
No those pellets are not okay. Hikari brand used to be good but the quality has gone downhill.

This forum recommends Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, Small Fish Formula, All Purpose Formula.

#15 ·
Mondays are my boys fasting day. And to help them poo, I have the flare. XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.