Betta Fish Forum banner

Petition against the "Teddy Tank"

3K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  SiameseFightingArt 
#1 ·
#46 ·
I did a bit of looking around, and from the looks of things, Teddy Tanks are not as bad as they seem.

The tank is 3.8L (1G), which, after looking around on the site, is the "bare minimum" size for a betta tank (not ideal, of course). It has a hole in the back of the animal's head (all creepiness aside) which provides oxygen, and you could think of the fur as thermal insulation, therefore keeping water heated (although yes, I do understand that it is the not the same as a heater, but people keep their fish in heated rooms and that's okay too) - and I doubt it is insulating enough that the fish would "cook" inside.

Obviously, there are much, much better and more humane ways to keep a fish, but given what I have read so far on this website, the bare minimum needs are being met.

However, the biggest problem here, is that children of that age are not responsible enough to care for a living organism, and this is very much being marketed as the perfect children's "toy" and I can see many parents assuming that children can care for them adequately themselves without help, much like "sea monkeys". This also perpetuates the idea that bettas, and fishes in general, are ornaments first, and pets second. This is a big problem, because these kids will grow up with this mindset.

To finish off, I'm not supporting the idea of Teddy Tanks, I think they're tacky, inhumane and inappropriate for the age group, but they're not "cruel" as such, and if kept well, would be no worse than the average unfiltered, unheated 1.9-3.8L tank (not that this is the greatest idea in the world, again). There are fish kept in much worse conditions.

Also, on a side note, it would be more useful to e-mail the company and stockists directly, rather than just signing a petition. Petitions that actually mean something occur late in the activism process (for want of a better word haha).

#47 ·
The problem is definitely that they advertise it as a toy first and pet second. If a parent were to get a regular 1 gallon bowl, they'd typically never think to let their child pick it up and carry it around, while the Teddy Tank seems to encourage this. And I don't think the bear will do anything for insulation. I've tried with a blanket and my tank(my darn heater broke) and it did literally nothing too keep the heat in. They acknowledge that the water needs to be 75-80 degrees(but of course they don't mention a 1 gallon needs daily 100% water changes if you don't want your betta to eventually get ammonia poisoning), but there's no space on it for a heater. Most people here agree than unless you live somewhere tropical, a heater is mandatory for a healthy betta because temperature flucuations are bad for their immune system.

The goal is ultimately education here. Getting gimmick tanks like these off the market is important because it really isn't acceptable. They only encourage thinking of fish as disposible objects to keep small children amused for a month or two instead of living creatures. It's really sad. That's why I personally think they're cruel and are as bad as they seem. Children AND the average parent don't know any better and the betta will suffer for it. Putting them in a one gallon bowl that stays in place is better than one a kid will run around with. Then you have a dead fish and a sad child. No one wins. :-(

#48 ·
Mm, well said Reccka! Fish are always marketed as easy pets to look after, and yes they are when compared to a dog or horse, but every pet requires a certain amount of basic care, and problems always pop up - but a fish isn't "worth" enough to warrant special care or effort.

To quote someone in response to finding out I took my rat to the vet: "but aren't they only worth like $25??!?"

#49 ·
I know that feeling SO well. I actually got my first betta last month because I was so heartbroken over my last two rats passing this year and I just wasn't ready for another pair!

People think I was crazy for taking my rat to the vet when he needed it too. I definitely keep animals that most people consider "not worth it" or "throwaway" pets. I'm fond of fish, rodents, and rabbits, and since they're cheap to buy, most people would rather let them die and replace them than help them when they're sick. :-( I just couldn't do that to another living creature, especially not one I'm supposed to care for. I don't know how other people do.

#50 ·
Ugh, I know! One of my rats had mycoplasmosis that cropped up a week or two after I got her (so she would have been 14 weeks I think?) and it reappeared really badly three times throughout her life, and all three times I took her to the vet - my parents thought I was crazy, haha, (but they funded it all ;P)

I think the worst thing is that for these "throwaway" pets, there is little medical research and treatment available, and most vets are ill-equipped to deal with their problems - I was given two dog medications in minute doses for my rat, after the vet had to search it up in this huge book. Most illnesses have to be self-diagnosed and treated, especially with animals like fish. Therefore, I believe most people think they're just meant to be replaced when they "malfunction" -.-

#51 · (Edited)
I signed the petition last night after having a sudden flashback of when the commercials were first broadcasted; one played on Nickelodeon earlier today while my boyfriend and I were cuddling and watching SpongeBob SquarePants. We spent the duration of the time ranting about how inhumane it would be to put a live animal in one. The "tank" encourages children to play with them (often in a rough manner), which is dangerous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.