Betta Fish Forum banner

Cloudy tank?

917 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lindsaypez 
#1 ·
Hi! It's been a while since I've come here! My betta fish, Abraham, is still going strong. I posted here a lot when I first got him in June of 2013. But I have a question!

His five gallon tank has gotten cloudy the past few days. I did a 100% water change a couple of months ago (getting new gravel and everything) and all was well. I've been doing regular 25% water changes since then, but all of a sudden his water is totally cloudy. I assume I need to do another 100% water change, but I was wondering what would cause this cloudy water? It's not a new setup. I've never randomly had a tank get cloudy on me before so I'm not sure what's going on. I haven't done anything differently at all with him over the past week. I would like to prevent it from happening again but I can't if I don't know how it happened! Any ideas? It's a nonfiltered tank and there are no live plants. Thanks.

#3 ·
First suspect would be high ammonia. If you have a test kit and ammonia comes back fine, then it may be from decaying food, especially if you overfeed. Since it's a 5 gallon, I would consider at least a sponge filter. They're very gentle so the betta can swim fine, and the sponge surface allows a sizable colony of beneficial bacteria to live.

#4 ·
There's no ammonia in the tank and the decorations aren't leaking. He eats tiny pellets, just 4 a day and he gobbles them all up. It's strange since his tank has never gotten cloudy before! He's still active and acting like himself. I have new water sitting out to do the water change tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be okay in the cloudy water until then.

I will look into a sponge filter, thanks! This tank came with it's own special filter and biowheel, but it all broke after 2 months so we've been going without ever since then.

I posted a year ago about how he bites his tail. He stopped for a while and it grew almost all of the way back, but then a couple of months ago he started biting again! It's such a shame. My avatar is him when I first got him, and he looks nothing like that anymore!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.