Betta Fish Forum banner

Summersea's Betta Life Journal

13K views 209 replies 13 participants last post by  summersea 
#1 ·
After ghosting around everyone else's journals, spawn logs, and day to day posts I decided I wanted to create a journal to show my journey with my Bettas. Most people in my life don't understand the addiction I have acquired - to bettas. So this, at least, can serve as a place to share to perhaps a few individuals who understand this craziness called Betta Love lol ;-)

So to start I should probably introduce the boys in my life - fishier than most but gotta love them teehee. I can only upload one pic per post so each of my boys will get their own post. I will start from my first and move onward.

My first two boys are no longer with me but have helped me learn so much that I can't leave then out. My very first Betta was Blu-bo a male HM. I had no idea what I was doing with a Betta but my sister had an empty 1.5g tank with a filter and heater so I thought "what the heck" and went to my local PetsMart and came home with the beauty below.

Blue-Bo is what started my love for these fish. He had such great personality! But my ignorance caused heartbreak. I didn't understand how often to change his water and he developed fin rot. That is when I found this forum. I read that clean "warm" water was the best for him so I cupped him and put in warm water. Unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer and used warm-to-me water. Plus had no idea about acclimation. So when I put Blu-Bo back in he went into shock and didn't survive. I bawled my eyes out! But I was determined to do better the next time. I spent hours researching on the forum to figure out Bettas before buying my next boy.

SIP Blu-Bo!

Attachments

See less See more
#156 ·
Thanks guys. It was a pretty awful day. But I will say I never expected Artie to make it a full year. He has always had so many health issues. Still sad to see him go. I don't think I will be replacing him. Instead, when I redo the 10g next week (my plants from peachii can't be shipped until next week so delaying the redo a bit) I am just going to undo the divider and give Blizzard the whole 10g. He is a very active boy and I think he will make full use of the tank. Debating if I want to try shrimp with Blizzard. He has left the snail alone but he is an avid hunter of all things wormy in the tank. May try a few cheap ghost shrimp and see how they do before going with the more expensive red cherries.

We should be getting the call on my puppy's bloodwork today. Fingers crossed it comes back more positive than my over active imagination is expecting. I love my puppy! Luckily my horse TJ's yearly winnings check is coming in and will cover the vet expenses so that is one weight off. Though I was hoping to use that money for something else but not a necessity.

On a good note, Dusty one a contest! I am going to be getting a drawing and a prose written for him. Pretty cool! Cant wait to see what they come up with!

#157 ·
Man, another long day but overall much better than yesterday. Still hard to look at the divided 10g and see one side empty. Also as I look at the tank I realize just how big it is going to be for just one fish. Still not planning on getting another but definitely going to do some type of shrimp.

I have been keeping a close eye on Blizzard after everything that happened to Artie. So far he seems to be fairing well. His top fin probably shows the most effect from the high ammonia in the tap. It is looking a bit wilted. But the rest of Blizz's fins are doing well and he is just as active as ever.

Also got good news regarding my puppy today. His bloodwork came back completely normal so it is just his digestive tract inflamed an possibly infected versus pancreatitis. Yay! He will stay on the strong antibiotics for now but if he doesn't start feeling better and eating again by Friday we may have to start back at the drawing board. So fingers crossed he improves before then.

Well I am off to bed as I will be taking some juniors and seniors in a field trip tomorrow...gonna be a crazy busy day! Here is a pic of Blizzard tonight showing off his growing fins. You can see the top fin looks a bit wilted but otherwise I think he looks good (if a bit overweight o_O). I wonder if he misses Artie....

Attachments

#158 ·
I'm glad to hear that your puppy's blood work came back with no bad news! Hopefully the antibiotics will help!

#159 ·
Thanks BettaLover! I am sure hoping the antibiotics do the trick!
--------

Well, I have been staring at the tropical community aquarium I have in my classroom. After much debate, I have decided to turn it into an NPT (big surprise there since I am doing that to all my tanks lol).

The tank is a 29g aquarium with a 100watt heater and an aqueon power filter. The tank is fully cycled and currently home to 8 harlequin rasboras, 5 rummy nose tetras, 4 julii cory cats, 1 oto, and a crap ton of baby snails. The tank also have a few live plants. One massive sword of some variety (the LFS just sells them by $4.99 for a potted plant without specific info given), a smaller sword that has a baby sword floating up at the top, a piece of drift would with an anubias, and several stems of floating elodea (known in the trade as anacharis I believe).

I am thinking of ordering another plant package from peachii if my first batch that arrives next week looks good. I may need to upgrade my lighting but the hood only allows 1 bulb so I think it will still end up a low light tank.

I think I will give my sister all stock except the rummy nose tetras (sister has a 55g though she doesn't take the best care of them...). The rummy nose tetras will be a great indicator of water parameters as if they are not ideal they lose their red "noses". I want to breed red cherry shrimp in the tank as well. I have already purchased another nice piece of drift would that has various hiding places for the shrimp and will allow me to attach some java ferns.

My ideal plan would be to house a small sorority of betta girls (thinking just 5) with the shrimp. Though obviously if I do that the idea of breeding shrimp would be over and just become live food for the girls more than likely lol. My only fear with doing a small sorority is the stress factor for the girls. My tank can only be placed in one spot in the classroom and that is between my lab tables against a window. I have students who are assigned seats at nearby lab tables and when we do labs it can be a bit chaotic. I am afraid the flurry of motion outside the tank might cause fighting amongst the girls. Trying to decide if I cover the side panels with backing (similar to what is already at the back of the tank) and just leave the front panel open if that would limit some stress. I suppose I could also cover the tank on lab days to keep stress factors down...or I may decide it is waaaay to much work and do something else lol

But here is the tank currently. You can tell it is a hodge podge of fake and live plants. I want something a bit more pleasing to the eye and easier to maintain over time. Anyone with a sorority wanting to chime in would be great! Sorry for the bad lighting, the classroom lights cause a horrible glare...

Attachments

#160 · (Edited)
So I did water changes on all but Nero an the 10g. The tap is still coming in at slightly darker than 1ppm for ammonia. I tested the 10g and it was somewhere between 0-.25 which was better than anything I could put in so will hold off on a water change until this weekend.

I did change the water on Razz's tank and NPT. I am beginning to see the start of growth on the plants finally but they seem to be taking longer than the first NPT. Maybe it was a good thing Peachii had to delay her shipment lol

I also did Dusty's tank (oh and forgot to mention that I used spring water mixed with the tap to lower te ammonia for all water changes). While doing his WC I trimmed his dwarf lily and some chain sword plantlets. That dwarf lily is pretty but I think a bit too big for a 5g. If I could figure out how to get the bulb out without destroying te water column with soil I would add it to either the 10g or 29g. You can see in the pic below that the tank is doing pretty well. Though I did notice that Dusty has a tear in his anal fin but hopefully it heals up quickly.

Well I am off to bed. This week has been very long already and we are only halfway through! Geesh!

Attachments

#161 ·
This has been a looong week. The kids at work have been all kinds of fired up (I pity the principle at this point) which makes getting things done excruciatingly painful. This is a never ending school year. I can't wait for June!

On a fishy front everyone seems to be good! I continue to see growth in the new NPT which is slow but at least I am getting something.

I took a moment today to start a thread about keeping a sorority in the 29g. The general consensus appeared agreed that I should be able to make it work as long as I take precautions. So going to move ahead with the plan. I sent Peachii a message to see if she would be able to send me an additional plant package to use in the 29g. I will purchase the miracle gro this weekend and already have the sand. The only other thing I need is a new lightbulb but trying to find one with decent wattage is ridiculous. The highest wattage I have found was 20watt and that keeps me on the low end. I am not sure of the requirements if peachii's plants but will try to find something this weekend.

Well I am off to bed. Here is a pic of Dusty in a mood tonight - such a grumpy boy!

Attachments

#163 ·
I am finally starting to see obvious signs of growth in Razz's NPT tank! Hopefully that means everything will really start growing in by the time I have to switch Blizz over next week!

I got a response from Peachii and she thinks she will be able to send me a second plant package this week, and if not this week then definitely with the next trim! Yay! So that means redoing the 29g soon. I think I will rehome the harlequin rasbora or the tetras plus the cory cats this coming week. I will leave either the rasbora a or the tetras as my cycling fish with my oto. I can't wait to get this project started!

So it's off to run errands to buy the last few things needed (miracle gro, some java ferns to attach to the new driftwood, etc) that way I have everything for whenever the plants arrive! I leave you with a pic of Razz's NPT. If you look closely you may even be able to see that my hair grass actually looks like it is spreading! I don't think that would happen in a low light tank with no CO2! Woot woot!

Attachments

#164 ·
Well, we are under a winter weather advisory...again...this is getting sooo old.

On a happier note I have done water changes on all tanks. My tap is still registering at 1ppm so still mixing spring water with the tap. I hope it goes down soon as this is getting expensive! But everyone still looks happy and healthy. Blizzards fins still look a big wilted but hoping that will change soon.

Sadly I have two friends whose fish are currently having bouts of fin rot. I gave them the same directions that I used with Blizzard so hopefully they work. One friend, a co-worker, went to PetsMart to pick up the meds and was asked by an associate if he needed help. To make a long story short, after hearing about the fin rot he promptly told her the fish was going to die. Yea...gotta love pet store employees...

Hoping to hear from Peachii tonight to see if she will be able to send both plant packages. I am hoping so as I have everything in order to get this done. I will need to regime most of the tropical fish to my sister. Pretty excited to get my 10g and my 29g planted! I am definitely obsessed now lol XD

Well off to so some dreaded house work. Here is a pic of Nero since it has been a while since I posted one of him. He is so much more laid back now, though I am not sure if that is due to settling in or his continued growth of fins...

Attachments

#165 ·
Mini update - Blizz has been pretty feisty today (I think he is loving having spring water rather than just the nasty tap water). He has been flaring at every thing and everyone. Now he has created a little bubble nest that he is protecting fiercely. Silly lil fishy!

Attachments

#166 · (Edited)
Heard back from Peachii and she does have enough plants for both tanks! That means soon all of my tanks will be planted and only one will not be a soil based tank! I am so excited!

Though trying to set up two tanks on top of my work responsibilities is going to be really hectic. I just keep telling myself that in 3 months keeping bettas is going to be sooo much easier!

I do need to call my LFS and place my order for cherry shrimp and nerites (need a couple for the 29g). I decided to start with 3 RCS in blizzards tank to see how he does. If he handles them well I may add to the population. I am hoping to breed RCS in the 29g at school and use it as a learning experience.

I am a bit bummed though because there are a couple members who have really good deals on female bettas right now but my tank isn't ready yet. Stinks too because both spawns are marbles which I really really want! Hopefully someone will have a good deal when I am ready to start my sorority.

And it must be bubble nest making season because Nero has joined in with his own entry! He doesn't always make bubble nests so it is always nice when he does! Plus his plants have really started to grow with the use of excel an flourish these last couple weeks! Yay! Happy days!

Attachments

#167 ·
Got a lot accomplished on my snow day #24. Called the LFS and got my shrimp (10 for the 29g and 5 for the 10g) and my 2 Nerite snails for the 29g ordered for pick up Saturday. I also got my tracking number from Peachii and the plants should arrive on Wednesday. That means doing water changes, moving Blizz, and setting up the 10g all on the same night. An then setting up the 29g on Thursday. Oh boy. Going to be a busy week.

On top of all my fishy goings on, I am also a prom sponsor this year so I have prom committee meetings Tuesday and Fridays. Plus after school detention in Wednesday. And my youngest nephews 1st birthday is Sat. So with allll that going in I think I am just going to pass out by Sunday! Geesh!

Short post tonight as I am going to try to get as much sleep tonight as I don't expect to get a whole lot later this week!

Here is a pic of Dusty's jungle. I hope all my NPTs look this great when they grow in! Night all!

Attachments

#168 · (Edited)
What a crazy hectic day - though at this point that sentiment is on repeat each day.

Got some good news today that started out in the "ugh" category. When I got to wok I went to switch out my lightbulb with the replacement I bought for the 29g. The bulb worked but there was no way it would be bright enough for a planted tank. I wouldn't even use it on an unplanted tank.

Anywho, after that fiasco I decided to start a thread on the planted forum about fairly inexpensive light fixtures. To make a long story short, I was able to talk my administration into allowing me to purchase the light suggested by a member here with class money. Since I will be growing elodea (anacharis) that will be used in labs and can incorporate the "closed ecosystem" concept into my bio lessons it all worked out.

So ended up purchasing a Finnex Fugeray Planted + 24 inch fixture. It will still be on the low to moderate end of lighting but will be LED and last longer. It had really great reviews so am pretty excited for it to come in!

Speaking of which I can't wait for my plants to come in tomorrow! It is going to crazy hectic to rescape the tanks but I am turning into a plant lover in these tanks. It is so relaxin gto sit and look into these live aquariums.

Speaking of which, there is one strand of ludwigia that has taken off like a rocket compared to the other plants in Razz's NPT. So funny. Though each day I see a bit more growth. I just wish the wisteria would finally take root and really start growing! The hair grass and Alternanthera have obvious growth each day, albeit slow growth. I am so impatient.

Well to end the night here is an updated pic of Razz's NPT. Wish me luck with the 10g tomorrow!

Attachments

#169 · (Edited)
Holy crap ton of plants! I got peachii's package in today and she sent all kinds of clippings. Some I could identify and others not so much so will have to do some research on those.

I did manage to get the 10g set up but it took a while as I had to doña water change on Razz's NPT before acclimating and putting Blizzard in. The good news is the tank is on its way to cycling. Ammonia came in at zero though nitrites were high so still doing every other day water changes until the tank fully cycles.

Blizzard was not happy about the whole process. I failed at my first attempt to catch him and then he got wise to the plan and wouldn't come out of hiding. I had to strip his tank bare to force him out into the open. Finally got him caught and then acclimated. I left the light out in the NPT he is in for te night and will see how he does tomorrow.

Then came the fun if sitting all the plants. There were a ton! I had to decide what plants were staying home in the 10g and which are going with me go work tomorrow for the 29g. Once decided it did a bleach dip for all plants.

After all that I still had to breakdown the 10g to its bare bones and set up the NPT. I did my standard 1" miracle gro organic potting mix with 1/2" cap of black petco sand. Though at least by now I know how to work the system of setting it up and that part doesn't take long.

The hardest part is figuring out where to out everything, especially as I am not 100% sure what all the plants are. But here is what I think my plant lost includes;

2 stems wisteria (1 upright and 1 pinned down to try a method that unread about in the planted forum to propagate faster stems)
8 stems rotala split in 2 areas
5 stems ludwigia
1 stem Brazilian penny wort
1 radican sword plantlet
7 pygmy chain sword plantlets
5 stems myrio filigree
2 stems unknown pinkish plant in frog right corner near rotala
4 stems unnown plant (2 by each driftwood piece)
1 anubias tied to driftwood
1 java fern tied to driftwood
1 clump of unknown moss tied to fake tunnel
And a bunch if assorted floater

Not sure if I missed any because there was so much. And you should see what I have left for the 29g. Speaking of which that is going to be exhausting tomorrow!

Anywho I am off to pass out in bed now. Here is the current "final" setup if the 10g - until i decide something should move ;-). I can't wait for it to fill in!

Attachments

#172 ·
1- Green hygro - grows super fast and is a great plant
2- Lobelia cardinalis dwarf - grows pretty fast and makes a great midground plant.
3- alterna reineckii roseafolia
4- alterna reineckii - scarlet temple, doesn't get as red as the roseafolia
5- narrow leaf ludwiga, can be green or red. I'm sure it has a species name but I don't know it.
6- I'm pretty sure Stargrass, doesn't look like it did well in shipping. Let it float for new growth and it will bounce back. It doesn't like to ship
7- baby amazon sword
8- hornwort - float it and it grows like crazy

I'm glad you are happy with the plants, I hope they do well for you. Thank you. :)

#173 ·
Thanks Peachii!! I appreciate you working with my learning curve lol :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 4 hours of back breaking effort, I finally got my 29g at work broken down and re-setup as a NPT. I wont lie, I really like how it ended up!! Now if only my new light fixture would get here already…I think it will be in tomorrow though so that’s good!

Okay, so here is the 29g before the make over…not very pleasing to look at:

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

And here is the final product sans better lighting:

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Apple pie Aquarium lighting

Plant Line Up (again some of these I am not overly sure on but think I am getting it down now thanks to Peachii’s help)

3 stems wisteria (trims from Dusty’s tank)
3 long stems of Dwarf Sag (I think that is what it is and not jungle val…)
8 Stems Hygro Green
5 Stems elodea/anacharis (4 from previously and 1 from Peachii)
2 Java Ferns (attached to large driftwood)
1 Anubias (attached to small driftwood)
1 Large Radian Sword
1 Radian Sword Plantlet
1 Medium Amazon Sword
1 Amazon Sword Plantlet
5 or so chain sword/dwarf sag plantlets (got them mixed together – whoops)
5 Stems Creeping Jenny (had already bought)
10+ stems Rotala (broken into 2 bunches on right side)
1 stem Alternathera reineckii roseafolia
1 stem Alternathera reineckii – scarlet temple
6 Stems Myrio filigree
2 stems hornwort
2 red dwarf lily bulbs (planted)

And goodness knows I might have forgotten something. ..

Right now just my one oto (yes I know they prefer larger groups but he was the only one that survived the trip when I bought them) is left in the tank. I took the other 17 fish to my sister’s 55g tank. They are all so much smaller than her other fish that you can’t even tell I added anything!

I will be going to the LFS Saturday and picking up RCS and nerites for the 29g and just RCS for the 10g.

For now, I am going to bed as I am exhausted and the next two days are going to be crazy busy!

#176 ·
My new light came in at work today! Made a big difference though the difference doesn't show up real well in pictures. Plants seem to have perked up pretty well though the myrio keep coming unplanted and the hornwort say "heck no we won't go" into the soil so I have decided to leave it floating.

I am a bit bummed as my order of red cherry shrimp didn't come in and they don't know when it will be ready. Instead Sally M had an ad in the classified section for RCS. I contacted her and now will be getting 24 RCS shipped to work for $20 cheaper than what 15 would have cost me at the store! Sweet! I have to wait a week but for that price it's all good! I will still pick up my nerites on Sun and go do a water change on the tank.

I have been so busy I feel like I haven't spent any time enjoying my Betta Boys. Blizzard took a few days to settle into the NPT but he is coming out for feeding times again and has made a nice bubble nest. The plants in that NPT are atill showing growth so yay! All other boys are pretty much same ole same ole - which works for me when I am this busy!

The 10g is showing growth too! The lobelia has really taken off as has the pennywort and green hygro. The other plants have perked up considerably which is great! Here is a pic of the 10g showing growth just 2 days after setup. With tgat I say goodnight as I prepare for my nephew's 1st birthday party madness tomorrow!

Attachments

#178 ·
Thanks BettaNut! I am pretty excited about that tank! It is so hard to wait to get a sorority going but I have to exert some patience lol ;-)

-------------

So I went ahead and pulled the backing off the 10g at home this morning. I think it is an improvement because I can actually see the plants better. Still swing growth though I noticed the ludwigia appears to be melting a bit.

I have my nephews birthday party today so this is just a short update. Look at the 10g without the backing!

Attachments

#179 ·
What a busy day … well heck, week! I feel like I haven’t had any time to enjoy my boys! So I tried to remedy that this afternoon with a little photo shoot! :)

First off, I ran to my LFS and picked up 3 nerite snails for my 29g and got some free MTS to help aerate the soil in that tank as well. I also tested the water of the 29g and found that it appears to have already re-cycled! Ammonia and nitrites both came in at 0ppm and nitrates were at 5ppm! I will keep an eye on the parameters just to be sure but I am pretty excited! I would be ecstatic if I could keep from having to do every other day water changes on that tank like I have had to do with the smaller NPTs.

Here is a pic of one of the new nerites. They had quite the adventure today as I made the hour trek to school only to find I hadn’t brought my badge to get it (gah!) and had to drive all the way home and back again before I could get them in their tank. But they started moving around almost immediately upon being put in so that’s good!

Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Plant

Next up was Razz’s photo shoot. I had to take pics from the back of his tank as the window makes it hard to get good pics from the front. He wasn’t sure what I was up to hehehe

Hey, whatcha doing back there?

Plant Botany Freshwater aquarium Flower Aquarium

I don’t think I like you back there Mom

Flower Purple Violet Botany Plant

Nope, don’t like it at all. Go away!

Flower Leaf Plant Botany Organism

Then I did Nero who was also not impressed by the idea of a photo shoot. My poor boys have to put up with so much lol! XD

What? You neglect me all week and then want pictures?! I don’t think so!

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Organism Water Marine biology

I shall hide in this forest you have provided for me!

Freshwater aquarium Vegetation Aquarium Aquarium decor Organism

And just to show you how much his plants have grown and filled in his tank, it is beginning to look fuller and taller!

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

Then I went to Dusty. He is a bit hard to get good pics of because he loves to zoom around when he sees me. I have been trimming plants in his tank this week so I don’t think he trusts me much. Here is his tank now with some pygmy chain sword plantlets tank out for the other tanks. Plus trimmed some wisteria and a few lily leaves.

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

Depending on the light Dusty changes colors; that is one of the things I love about photographing him. Here he looks like a dusty/rosy red color…

Freshwater aquarium Organism Aquarium Botany Plant

But in this light he looks bluish/purply…

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Plant Aquarium lighting Organism

Then I moved on to Blizzard. Blizz hasn’t been very happy with me since his move to the new NPT. And I must say, it looks pretty big in that tank. I think he will love having full reign of the 10g in a couple weeks. He didn’t want to participate in my photo shoot either but I did manage a few pics…

You stress me out and then expect good pics?! Ha!

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquatic plant Organism Tail

I don’t want you here!!

Water Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Organism Aquatic plant

I said…

Freshwater aquarium Organism Grass Aquarium Aquatic plant

Go away!!!

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Organism Plant

Phew! Got everyone all updated! Now to finish laundry so I actually have clothes to wear this week lol! Night everyone!

#180 ·
lol Love the captions! Beautiful pictures of your boys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.