Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooooo!!!!!Tango died!!!!!!!

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Alienbetta1 
#1 ·
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:I only had him for 3 days and he died!*sob*!My mother thinks it was are water and I think that to*sob*!The tank water was 80 degrees.:cry::cry::cry:

#3 ·
I am so sorry. (((BIG HUGS))) How sad.

Maybe it is your water... I agree about letting the pet store test it. You may have to start using bottled water if it is going to keep killing your fish.

#7 ·
Buy a brita water filter and filter your water then condition it. it's worked for me. Gunther lived 8 months that way.

#11 ·
Jeez... I have no clue what to tell you...
Have you been using water conditioner?
I would use milk cartons, and fill them with conditioned water and let them sit a while and use that water o.o
or something,,

#12 ·
You said you're "out in the country"--are you getting your water from a city supply, or from an underground well? When I was living in the country, we got our water pumped up from a well, but had to filter it before it was safe to drink. If it's from a well, I'd think you'd really, really want to filter it before putting it in with the fish or just use bottled water. There's no telling what gets in well water, really...

#15 ·
As long as it's a good filter (not sure what the requirements are), I'd say that would help. Well water has all kinds of stuff in it, and it can change so much based on external factors. Spring water would probably be best, though. You don't have to buy a fresh gallon each time; you should be able to refill milk jugs with some kind of spring/filtered water at a supermarket for a quarter or fifty cents a piece at a supermarket.

#16 ·
Do you have well water? You said you live far away... I have well water too and it's high in all kinds of things that might not be good for fish. This is what I do - I keep jugs of water from the tap for days between changes. Letting it sit stabilizes the minerals and ammonia and stuff. Then, just before I change water - and I do 1/4 and 1/2 tank changes mainly - I put about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of any water conditioner in - the kind that take the ammonia and nitrates out (I've used a couple with success) that say they make water safe for Bettas. I also bought a PH test kit and found out our well water PH is bluer than blue...and so I put ten drops of PH Down into the water. I mix it up good and use that water to do my water changes. You really need to be letting your tap water sit for awhile and also be using water conditioner for Bettas.
Keep trying - there are lots of bettas out there that need homes and none of this costs very much! It will be okay.

#17 · (Edited)
.....Rant time.

Obviously the fish didn't die because of being improperly introduced to the tank, or it would have happened in the first 24 hours. I live in Las Vegas, home of the worst water conditions in the entire United States. Its really unlikely your tap water is killing your fish if you used treatments.

DID YOU USE TREATMENTS?

1) What are you feeding your fish?
2) How big was their tank?
3) How many water changes do you do?
4) Do you even test your water?
5) Did you use fresh water with treatments when you got this last fish?

Betta fish are not some epicly sensitive fish that require "spring water" they just require treatment which I have yet to hear you say you use... Get a test kit online that tests everything, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, Copper in the water, etc.... Pleeeeeeease.

If by some stretch of the imagination your water IS killing your fish, its killing you too.

You have a string of dying fish, they all have something in common, its easy to point the finger at your water, but it could be your food which I'm sure they all shared, it could be their props/plants which I'm sure they all shared, and its likely you didn't clean them after putting them in one tank to another... Sooooooo...... TEST TEST TEST.

#18 ·
She's not on Tap, she's on well water where there could be a myriad of things wrong in it that will not be picked up by a normal test kit. It needs to be tested professionally by a water authority.

Just treating the tap water does not always work. Sometimes things in the water source are changed and you can get extremely high ammonia in your water without even knowing. In a small tank such as the one alien uses it would be extremely easy for something in the water to kill the fish.

But like I said this is an old thread. Alien has since gotten another fish, who also died since this thread.

#19 ·
My next question was "how old are you?" I get a feeling we get some young teens on here who really don't know what the heck they are doing...go easy on them though, they will learn eventually. I came home last week and found my 8 year old put chocolate milk in all the tanks (just a little mom!)!! I was so mad, I screamed and screamed at the kid and sent him to his room all night. He just thought it would be good for them since I told him it was good for him (Ovaltine). I had to clean all the tanks that night and was sure I'd lose at least one fish. They all survived and all are doing fine. So....all we can do for this kid - and I am guessing here just as a "mom" - is try to give helpful advice.

#20 ·
I've given Alien so much advice .____. I know he/she's only 12 but I can't help but think we aren't gettin the whole story on these dying fish. I know its not always the owner's fault but sometimes there are errors we make that kill them without our knowing. I didn't realize how fast my ammonia would spike while live cycling, and thats why I lost both my bettas even a day after a 50% water change... =/ Live and learn, then live again, but if you don't learn, your just wasting living.

#21 ·
Im so sorry about Tango! *BIG HUG!* Was he from wal-mart? If so it is THEIR fault not yours! Wal-mart bettas are not known for a long life. My advice would be to get your water tested and fix the perimeters if needed. Then get a new member of the family! And i know how losing a fish feels so here is another hug! *HUGE HUG* Hey alien is 12? I'm 13! Welcome to the club of awesomeness alien! lol

#23 ·
Im so sorry about Tango! *BIG HUG!* Was he from wal-mart? If so it is THEIR fault not yours! Wal-mart bettas are not known for a long life.
This is really not true...
I've had fish one of my fish from Walmart live for months before he died and it wasn't even due to health. He jumped into the other side of the divider and fought with my other fish. He even had popeye and fin rot when I got him and was in a cup with rotting plants and dirty water.
Yes, some Walmarts are horrible with fish, but that doesn't mean all are. Mine have since improved when I got my walmart rescue. So much so it's hard to choose which store (Petsmart, Walmart or Petco) has the best fish care. They're all excellent these days.
My new guy Ty is from Walmart as well and he's healthy and active.
I feel like some people blame the stores because it's an easy out...

#22 ·
My daughter just turned 13...within 2 weeks I could see she wasn't taking care of her pretty blue Delta so I brought her tank upstairs from her bedroom, with the rest so I could take care of them. I can see her writing this stuff like you dear Alien...and not having a clue what any of us are talking about. Maybe wait a few years. Hugs from me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.