Betta Fish Forum banner

Eartquake aftermath

640 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I live in Christchurch NZ and as many of you may know we were once again rocked by two major earthquakes yesterday. I wasn't home for the small one but I was for the big one and I was holding on to two of my fishtanks screaming. My tanks are fine but I did lose one of my emerald green corys. Do you think he died of shock or other causes? No signs of illness.

#2 ·
It might have been from shock. I'm in california and we get a fair amount of eathquakes aswell. I"m not to worried about my larger tanks but I'm unsureof my smaller ones on the shelves, I"m thinking of setting up bars so they don't have any risk of falling off....
Anyway,I'm glad your fine. Do you have anything that could fall over in you tanks? like stacked rocks? if so these could be an earthquake hazard for your fishies, falling things can trap them or hit them.

#3 ·
Earthquake for fish

I have an island sort of thing but I don't think it would fall on them. I have no way of securing my four tanks and that's half the reason I'm refusing to leave the house at the moment. My fish. They are just sitting on shelves and furniture. I could only hold two yesterday but the others were ok. They're like my babies, I would hate for anything to happen to them but I can't live in my room forever. I made sure all my other fish were still alive and they are so that's good.

#4 ·
Eeep. I hate earthquakes and living in Alaska for the past decade, I have been in my fair share of them with one being an 8.0

Quakes worry me, I'm afraid we are going to have another big one and there goes all my poor fishies :cry: and probably this craptastic building as well.

#5 ·
Earthquakes suck

I have to go away for 3 nights in a few days time. My brother will still be here to feed my fish but I'm going to put my two most vulnerable tanks on the floor. lol. I'll still be worried sick about them but I can't be here all the time just in case I guess.

#7 ·
I think, if I remember correctly, that fish are very sensitive to physical shocks such as can be incurred by an earthquake. In the episode where they tested the myth "easier than shooting fish in a barrel," the Mythbusters talked to a fish expert and I believe he said that what ultimately kills a fish in a barrel is not actually being hit by a bullet but the concussion caused by the force of the bullet moving through the water at such high speeds. So if the water of your emerald cory's tank moved suddenly at a violent speed, it's possible the shock gave him a trauma. I believe. It's been a while since I've seen that episode so I can't verify my information. I could well be completely off base. Anyway . . .

It's also possible that, even if the actual movement of the water didn't harm him, the resulting waves sent him into the decor or even the side of the tank hard enough to do damage.

Anyway, I'm glad you stayed safe. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.