Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding My Betta

500 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MissFutureVet 
#1 ·
So my betta knows when it is time for him to eat. He swims to the slot I feed him through, and floats there vertically waiting for food to fall through. its really kinda sad. I want to fast him once a week, but when i look at him just sitting there waiting for food, I cant help but feed him. and sometimes he starts to swim erratically.... Like CRAZY! if i really wait too long. should i just hold off on feeding him, or should i just give him the food because i don't him to hurt himself.

#5 ·
Just hold off. He'll be fine.

#7 ·
Bettas are notorious beggars. Fasting him for one day wont do any harm, they can live up to 2 weeks without food. You just need to ignore his begging dance :p

#8 ·
I may be wrong...but I don't think you HAVE to fast him once a week. It's a nice extra thing to do, but not vital. You might try just making his regular feedings a little smaller if he is having problems instead of not feeding for a day, especially if the fasting day is hard for you. Or you could try some kind of smaller food like flakes for a day. Just reduce the food somehow. I don't think it necessarily has to be a fast.

On the other hand, nothing bad will happen if you fast him for a day. He'll forgive you :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.