Betta Fish Forum banner

Rant

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Polkadot 
#1 ·
So I went into Petsmart yesterday just to get a few things and I saw about six guys. They looked to be about 22-24 and they were buying small 2 gallon aquariums and small bags of gravel. Then I overheard them laughing and bragging about how they were all going to buy bettas and then fight them when they get home. It was really upsetting as six poor bettas were going to these awful people. Then they said they were buying a few girls to breed them after they fought. Seriously what is wrong with people. I love all my bettas, frogs, goldfish, and other tropical fish. I would never think to hurt them.

#4 · (Edited)
I would have asked the store manager if he/she could speak to the guys. I realize he/she probably couldn't prohibit the guys from buying the fish, but perhaps some "education" might have helped dissuade them from doing this.... Sad story. Poor fish. :-(

I don't know whether fish fighting is illegal, but this may be worth investigating. Chicken and dog fighting is banned in the US. And it's possible that betting on the outcome could be illegal too.

#5 ·
I would have said something to the guys..but you never know how people will react. So unfortunately I kept my distance. I think they were too in "bro mode" to care. It kind of ruined my day because someone else could have given those fish a good life.

#7 · (Edited)
Oh my gosh! That's horrible! People like them make me so mad.... They should know that counts as animal abuse! Fish are amazing and beautiful and are one of the most fun hobbies to get into.... And to treat the fish the way they are/did in unacceptable! And being 22-24 they are acting like idiots.... They should be able to act their age and be mature enough not to do something like that!

#8 ·
*sigh* Stupid people :dunno:

Don't know about the store where you are, but all of the big pet stores around here have a "betta blacklist" of sorts - they know the people buy the bettas for fighting and refuse to sell to them for that reason... You may be able to report them and hopefully keep them from getting other bettas in the future.

#9 · (Edited)
In certain US states, it is illegal to fight any animal.

Check this webpage to find out your state's laws: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/armpusanimalfighting.htm

For example (2 states on the east coast, 2 on the west coast):

NORTH CAROLINA:
(b) A person who owns, possesses, or trains an animal, other than a cock or a dog, with the intent that the animal be used in an exhibition featuring the fighting or baiting of that animal or any other animal is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(c) A person who participates as a spectator at an exhibition featuring the fighting or baiting of an animal, other than a cock or a dog, is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (Punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for a period not to exceed one year, by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine.)

SOUTH CAROLINA
Any person who:
(a) owns an animal for the purpose of fighting or baiting;
(b) is a party to or causes any fighting or baiting of any animal;
(c) purchases, rents, leases, or otherwise acquires or obtains the use of any structure, facility, or location for the purpose of fighting or baiting any animal; or
(d) knowingly allows or permits or makes available any structure, facility, or location to be used for the purpose of fighting or baiting any animal is guilty of a felony and upon conviction must be punished by a fine of five thousand dollars or imprisoned for five years, or both.

CALIFORNIA
This statute forbids anyone from causing a fight between any animal of like kind (except dogs) or any animal (including dogs) from fighting with a different kind of animal or person for amusement or gain. It also forbids anyone from worrying or injuring any animal for amusement or gain, or causing any animal (except a dog) to worry or injure another animal. A person who allows such activity on any premises under his or her control, or any person who aids or abets the fighting or worrying of any animal is guilty of a misdemeanor.

OREGON
(1) A person commits the crime of involvement in animal fighting if the person:
(a) Owns or trains an animal with the intention that the animal engage in an exhibition of fighting;
(b) Promotes, conducts, participates in or is present as a spectator at an exhibition of fighting or preparations thereto;
(c) Keeps or uses, or in any way is connected with or interested in the management of, or receives money for the admission of any person to any place kept or used for the purpose of an exhibition of fighting; or
(d) Knowingly suffers or permits any place over which the person has possession or control to be occupied, kept or used for the purpose of an exhibition of fighting.
(2) For purposes of this section:
(a) “Animal” means any bird, reptile, amphibian, fish or nonhuman mammal, other than a dog or a fighting bird as defined in ORS 167.426.
(b) “Exhibition of fighting” means a public or private display of combat between two or more animals in which the fighting, killing, maiming or injuring of animals is a significant feature. “Exhibition of fighting” does not include demonstrations of the hunting or tracking skills of an animal or the lawful use of animals for hunting, tracking or self-protection.
(3) Involvement in animal fighting is a Class C felony.

#10 ·
How awful. :( I was at walmart once and found some teenage boys hanging around the bettas...when I came over, they hurried up and left, but I found two fish having been moved into the same cup. I would assume they were trying to fight them without having to even pay for them... I put them back into their own cups. Some people are just stupid and cruel... :(

#24 ·
Big, like, several feet high, piles of dead chickens. :( They were all over his front yard, there had to have been hundreds. It was really awful. We knew what he was doing, the owner of the farm (where I boarded my mare) had called animal services but they couldn't prove anything (apparently he had to be caught in the act) and so nothing could be done. But just before Chicken Man killed all his chickens, there was a HUGE cocking fighting bust in a neighboring county with lots of arrests, a good bit of jail time, and some major fines. Apparently it was enough to get him spooked. :(

#18 ·
It just makes me mad they thought they were so cool. Like don't they have a life on a Saturday? Maybe go to a party or play a sport or something. They are that lame and bored to fight innocent animals. I think I will go in tomorrow and tell the manager about it. Maybe they have cameras and can find the guys. I would definitely know how to pick them out of a crowd.

#19 ·
Seaman2012 - Does your state have laws prohibiting animal (including fish) fighting? If so, you can print out the law, and bring it to the store. That should help the manager have a reason to ban these people from coming back, or even better, it could give him/her a reason to call the police, if they show up again.

#22 ·
Which state is it? I'm doing a presentation on the application of animal cruelty laws to fish in the Australian states and territories, and I'm fascinated to learn more about their US counterparts. :) Just found out the Texan laws this morning!

Unforunately, those 22-24 year old boys *were* acting their age...or so it seems to me. Maybe I'm just a disillusioned cynic, but I'm always thrilled when I meet a guy my age (I'm in that age bracket) who is compassionate towards animals and not thrilled by wanton violence...even better, one who actually considers fish to *be* animals.

#23 ·
Unforunately, those 22-24 year old boys *were* acting their age...or so it seems to me. Maybe I'm just a disillusioned cynic, but I'm always thrilled when I meet a guy my age (I'm in that age bracket) who is compassionate towards animals and not thrilled by wanton violence...even better, one who actually considers fish to *be* animals.
+1
It's sad, really.

And here's a link to the ASPCA state cruelty laws, if you'd like to check them out:
ASPCA | State Animal Cruelty Laws

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.