Betta Fish Forum banner

Broken heart ( first betta rescue)

91K views 591 replies 137 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
This is the intro to my first Betta rescue, today after work I dropped off at Petsmart "again" just to check out the new shipment in clearer water. They had a ton and in rows. So I took my time going through them and noticed 3 different Betta's, all very young. No more than a month and half old. I decided to take home one of the young Dragon HMPK and give him a better home than his tiny cup. But still I couldn't resist looking at all the rest. I came across a cup in the way back, and when I looked in my jaw dropped past the floor. I didn't have to think twice and I knew I needed to take him home immediately. I walked up to the front and told a lady that this fish was in really bad shape, and it was too young to look like this. I told her if she would discount him and I will take him and get him healthy. She asked the manager and he said I could take him home for free. I was delighted, and so happy to know I get to nurture this sick juvenile Half Moon. I think he may have deformities, or is just extremely underweight. He is also missing most of his fins, he is the worst Betta I have seen in a store and he has a long road ahead of him. If any of you could give me tips or advice for me please feel free.
I got him a 2.5 gallon for now, heater, and some aquarium salt. I am about to set it all up and get him healthy. Thanks for those who read this, my heart just goes out to my little guy. Hope he pulls through.

This is him in his cup right now.

So sad.

My rescue kit for him.

See less See more
#213 ·
He is very young so I am assuming he was beaten up in the grow-out tank before being shipped off to Petco. And sitting in those cups he got a little ammonia burn. So sad!

#214 ·
UPDATE DAY 10

Heart Breaker is doing great!!! Yeay!

#222 ·
Thanks you guys ;) I do love his bright red also. He is my little trooper!

#225 ·
Good morning!! Just wanted everybody to know Heart Breaker is doing so good!!! I can't wait to show you all the pictures I got yesterday. I could not post because my Internet has been acting up at home. But when I am off work I will have new pictures. Have a great day everybody!!

#228 ·
UPDATE DAY 13

I have to say the pictures I have taken shock me!! I can't believe he is the same fish!!!

#229 ·
Amazing, just amazing... wow.

Next time you're posting a pic, you should post a "day 1" picture right next to the most current picture. Then you'd really see a difference.

I wish there were a way to post a day 1 pic and a day 13 pic on a poster and put it up wherever they sell betta's, and have it say something to the effect of "this is the difference between me living in a cup or bowl or me living in a warm filtered tank!"

#230 ·
Thank you Grey Lady! He does look like a different fish!! I love my boy! I wish I could put up a poster so people can see the potential of these beautiful fish we all love so much! Well I made a poster for all of us :)

#234 ·
Thanks everybody!! He is looking 100x better! I am so proud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.