Betta Fish Forum banner

Broken heart ( first betta rescue)

91K views 591 replies 137 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
This is the intro to my first Betta rescue, today after work I dropped off at Petsmart "again" just to check out the new shipment in clearer water. They had a ton and in rows. So I took my time going through them and noticed 3 different Betta's, all very young. No more than a month and half old. I decided to take home one of the young Dragon HMPK and give him a better home than his tiny cup. But still I couldn't resist looking at all the rest. I came across a cup in the way back, and when I looked in my jaw dropped past the floor. I didn't have to think twice and I knew I needed to take him home immediately. I walked up to the front and told a lady that this fish was in really bad shape, and it was too young to look like this. I told her if she would discount him and I will take him and get him healthy. She asked the manager and he said I could take him home for free. I was delighted, and so happy to know I get to nurture this sick juvenile Half Moon. I think he may have deformities, or is just extremely underweight. He is also missing most of his fins, he is the worst Betta I have seen in a store and he has a long road ahead of him. If any of you could give me tips or advice for me please feel free.
I got him a 2.5 gallon for now, heater, and some aquarium salt. I am about to set it all up and get him healthy. Thanks for those who read this, my heart just goes out to my little guy. Hope he pulls through.

This is him in his cup right now.

So sad.

My rescue kit for him.

See less See more
#242 ·
:thumbsup: Absolutely amazing, I am overjoyed with his progress, and he is soo beautiful..What an incredible transformation..;-)You are doing such an incredible job getting him well.. He has to be the "Poster Fish" to combat Fish abuse, and I agree, take his pix before and after day 1 and Now..and blow up the pix to 8x10 and bring to the store, and even ask if you can use it as proof of what a good home, and plenty of care can do for a sick fish, and to show that improper conditions will cause such sickness, but with love, and proper care will prove that a fish can be a happy, healthy gorgeous fish!!!:welldone::cheers:

#244 ·
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!!

Thanks for all of the praise you guys. I am so happy for Heart Breaker, I can't believe he is the same little guy I got in the pet store 14 days ago. I cant wait to get to 1 month and see how he looks then.

#247 ·
I know he definitely red! I like the black around his caudal, I am so excited to see what he will look like!!

#248 · (Edited)
I started reading the thread from the start about half an hour ago and when i reached the pics of day 13...I just couldnt believe it!

You are a great person and that little guy is indeed special. And all that difference in 2 weeks.

If i were in your position i would print those pics and go back to the store and show them to the manager, explaining to them how cruel they are to those animals when they can keep healthy with clean water good food and love

Love u!

P.S. I am sure he grew up to be so strong. His face is like : 'I mean business'!

#250 ·
Oh he is so gorgeous!! Once all his fin grow he'll be stunning!!! :) That is amazing what you you did. The first picture he looks half dead and then on page 13 . . . unbelievable!
What tail type is he? He'd be a beautiful HM or spade tail!

#251 ·
Thank you so much! He does look like a different fish and has so much life in his eyes. He is a Half Moon, I wouldn't of believed it before. He will be a very spoiled guy once I move him from his 2.5 gallon hospital tank.

#254 ·
The change is truly remarkable I've been watching this thread for a while. :) Astounding little boy. He is blessed to have such a devoted and caring owner.

#255 ·
You all are so awesome!! Thanks for taking time to read this little guys story. He sure is a trooper! Every day he grows and grows and has huge dramatic changes. Thanks again for the support.

#256 · (Edited)
[quote
[/quote]

Oh. My. God! He looks amazing! Really really wonderful progress .. I can't believe it!

I kind of wish you would show this to the manager or employees at the pet store where you got him. This poster could be used for so many things. . ha ha. Mostly because a picture really IS worth a thousand words in this case.

#258 ·
I'm also in on this late, but WOW.
A truly inspiring story for us all. Heart Breaker has truly lived up to his name ... at first breaking hearts with pity, but now with joy! :D

#259 ·
I wonder if there is a thread strictly for this kind of photo- a "Before and After" rescue thread. If not, we should start one with this photo. I love seeing this kind of thing.

#260 ·
+1 and we should make an album and distribute it to pet stores so they can take their lazy 'you know what' and start caring for those fish.

#261 ·
Yes! I really think if people actually knew how different a cared for betta looks compared to what they look like in a dirty cup that has been neglected, things might change. It's a much more convincing argument, I think, than words.

#262 ·
Wow!! Just WOW!!

I just came across this thread, and am so happy to see Heart Breaker's progress - Fantastic! I am sure he is so happy to be with you :yourock:

Also - what kind of camera are you using to take this pictures? Just curious, as everyone has such great pics of their Bettas!

#263 ·
Hi Lynn, thanks for taking some time to read up on my Heart Breaker. He is doing so amazing and I couldn't be happier. He is a very spoiled guy and will be for many years to come.

use my Cannon D3000, I love it!!

#264 ·
UPDATE DAY 16

Look at this little Heart Breaker! He is doing amazing everybody, I have fallen in love completely with this little miracle boy.

#266 ·
You must be a miracle worker. :)

#268 ·
Your so sweet! But no miracle here, I just have a big heart and I spend a lot of time on all my Betta's. Heart Breaker has just helped me open my eyes to the cruelty and abuse they experience every day. It makes me sad to see them all in their cups and if I could I would take them all. Maybe one day if I hit the lottery lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.