Betta Fish Forum banner

My first WalMart Rescue

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Frazzle 
#1 ·
I just bought a betta tonight.

He's got a bad case of fin rot i beielve, but his tail fin and the pectoral fins are in nice shape.

I have him in a planted 2.5gallon.

What all should i treat him for? his gills also seemed a bit dark

His colors are amazing

See less See more
#3 ·
Doesn't matter what it was, I need to know everything I need to from experienced people on how to treat it.

Seems like a rescue to me... would have died within a week I bet.

#5 ·
Looks like fin melt. Even if the store had profit, at least Frazzle is taking better care of it. :) Aquarium Salt for 10 days. Do 100% changes daily while and you should treat him in a QT tank. Remember to dissolve the salt first and then to add it in the QT. No live plants as most can't tolerate salt.

#6 ·
This +1 :thumbsup: And he's a cutie, make sure you post good pics when he's doing better!

#9 · (Edited)
omg tommorow im rescuing a fish from walmart also. a betta. gonna try to get 2. one that really bad ( health whise) and any HEALTHY ones/, the one that real bad health whise. i will treat, and make him a healthy little guy. btw hes gorgeous good luck with your rescue buddy

once i rescue him i will post pictures, and see if you guys can help me what to do :)

#10 · (Edited)
It does not matter if they PAID for the fish or not and walmart gets credit for dead fish anyways - either way, they profit. ALL 17 of my bettas were sympathy purchases..

It's kinda hard to tell from the pics but weather it is fin rot or fin melt - either way, the best treatment is clean, warm water. I am not sure what causes fin melt - i think its poor water quality but not positive. Fin rot can be cured with just clean, warm water but many people opt for aquarium salt as it will help fight off bacteria. Lebron was correct with the 1 teaspoon per gallon, make sure its dissolved before adding the fish. It would be hard to tell with his fins smushed together like that but normally fin rot will produce a black outline around the infected area. Ammonia can also burn away their fins if the level is high enough

Not sure about the gills - can't really see them in the pics. Is it the gill covering that's red? If so, it's probably been burned by ammonia.
Is it red in the same spot as in this fish (who had an ammonia level of 8.0)? or is it actually the gills that are red..or are you talking about the beard (the part the males puff up)..It took me a while to realize the beard was NOT the gills :oops:. If he is not gasping for breath, I wouldn't be too worried about his gills as I think they are supposed to naturally be red.

I picked up one tonight from walmart myself, as a B day present

#12 ·
his fins didnt melt together... instead they look like they were shreaded. I have him in a planted tank ATM, so I'll change that tomorrow morning

#13 ·
That sounds more like rot. A lot of bettas do that in those little cups. the same treatment works, though :)

#14 ·
fin melt isn't actually melted fins but it kinda looks like they are melted together - like this

pic jacked from this thread
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76015

He could of also been bitting his fins in his cup as well...
Anyways, for bitting, fin rot, ammonia burns - the treatment is still the same - clean, warm water with AQ salt if you wish to use it

#15 ·
;-) Well, whether we call it sympathy purchase or rescue . . whatever! He's cute, he will be happier and healthier now, and I wish you luck! Please continue to post pics and let us know how he's doing.

#20 · (Edited)
Rescues -- sometimes they make it sometimes they don't --- Here is one that I rescued from Petsmart -- His recovery was amazing and believe me that he was not well when I asked the manager to give him to me. What's negative about saving a life? Here are pics:----
i've never seen walmart stocking plakats, all i ever see is VT's and CT's.

EDIT: disregard me being an idiot, i just read that he was from petsmart, not walmart.

#21 ·
Sorry about any snide remarks you may get about rescue -- just do what you think is right! Does not look like fin rot -- maybe he is just clamped. It took my plakat about 3 days to fully unclamp and that was just treating him with salt and the API aloe and green tea extract. My guy is doing great today -- l month out.... good luck.

#23 ·

I need a camera...

#24 · (Edited)
#26 ·
how do i embed a video...

Most of that blue is from the light... hes green, red, purple, and turquoise.

#28 ·
Oh, well thank you!

He does seem healthy, a lot happier then the cup though.

I love how active and mean he is! Very agressive.

I had to get him because the others seemed in better condition.

#29 ·
He is such a good swimmer, even with all that damage.... Almist think he was born like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.