Betta Fish Forum banner

Albino Bristlenose Pleco.

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rmarkham 
#1 ·
So I have been looking up some things about Albino Bristlenose Plectos, because i want to get one for my 10 gallon tank that has one male betta and a mystery snail. I have been searching and searching but I can't find what the minimum tank size is. I know what conditions to keep them in, what to feed them, ect. Please give me tips and tell me the minimum tank size.

Thanks! :)

#5 ·
I've had an albino bn pleco for almost 3 years.. and I have her in a 29G tank(I'm upgrading her and the rest of her community to a 40G breeder in a month)... I'd say that's the healthy minimum size for that species.

To keep these guys happy you need plenty of hiding spots and real driftwood. They also enjoy a steady supply of algae wafers and zucchini.

In my opinion there is no pleco that would be suitable for a 10 G tank.. they are very high waste producers. They literally poop CONSTANTLY.

#6 ·
I have a clown pleco in my 20L, and I think he would be doable in a 10g. They only get to 3-4 inches, max. As far as the famous pleco poop goes, he produces less waste than my four otos, and also less than my four amano shrimp- now, their poop I have to clean constantly. Clown plecos pick out a hiding spot and camp there (in wood, they need wood to survive), so they don't need much exploring space. Problem is, though they're gorgeous fish, this reclusiveness means you won't get to see him very often.

#7 ·
I'm going to to have to disagree with you on the 10 gallon tank idea.
Just because they don't get very large doesn't mean they'd be happy in a 10G tank..

There are several sources stating the min size for that particular species is 30 gallons. I checked out fishlore's freshwater fish profile page as well as Aqua Advisor... I've never seen/heard of a pleco that can thrive in a small sized tank like a 10 gallon. They are very active.. even though you don't see them during the day, they are out and about all night. 4 inches isn't very large, but in a 10 gallon tank it would be. I just don't think it's fair to the fish.

#11 ·
You guys make me jealous. Playing 'find the pleco' is quite a challenging game in my tank at any time of the day.

The different types of plecos are a lot more varied as far as requirements and temperaments than most people realize.

Anyways, madmonahan, there's an interesting thread on the plecoplanet forum you might want to check out. It's titled "10 gallon pleco?" There's a few suggestions on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.