Betta Fish Forum banner

First Actual Betta

959 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Kanra Chan 
#1 ·
So I messaged here before about my girlfriends husbandry issues and finrot. Basically I scolded her until it was healed... maybe I'm a bad boyfriend...

Anyways I just made sort of a rescue from a Wal-Mart he didnt look too too bad but he had a clamped fin. It was their first new shipment so I picked up one for my sister as well.

I was hoping I could ask you guys being the experts for a first assessment. My tank is pretty baron at the moment.

3 Gal, Filtered with airstone.
Whisper Filter.

Andddd here he is

I'm excited to see how he does, I also have aquarium salt on hand incase of any issues.
He has seemed to think that the best hiding place in the tank is behind the filter and that worries me a bit.

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the filter intake is not too strong, hiding behind the filter shouldn't be an issue. If it seems to suck him in a bit, you can put panthose over the intake valve to prevent damage to him. If you don't want him hiding behind it, get him plants (fake or live) with large leaves, and maybe a cave to hide in. Also, did you remember the heater?

#3 ·
To help deal with the finrot, make sure the water is warm (80F) as this can help speed up healing. Keep it super clean, two 50% changes per week. If you are worried about him hiding behind the filter, give him other spots, such as a clean mug or pot, to hide in.

The rot doesn't look too bad - you've caught it nice and early. :)

#4 ·
I literally got him today and I'm waiting for his color to brighten up a bit before I start adding salts. I need to get a bigger bottle for his water changes. I need to remove him from the tank because of my living space.

What looks like finrot on the picture actually looks blue when looking directly into the tank, is that normal? Id like to know for certain its finrot before I start any treatment because his is brand new, as in just put in the tank today. I need him to get used to his new home before I start any real treatment.\

*edit
As for the heater, I am planning to order one online. Any suggestions? Also I was planning to add silk or real plants. Any suggestions there?

#5 ·
Since the most simple treatment for fin rot is clean, warm water, Indian Almond Leaves (if you can get them) and StressCoat, it honestly won't hurt whether he has finrot or not. I'd just go for it. :) Don't worry about adding salt. It can help, but it's not necessary.

Unfortunately I can't answer on the heater as I am in Australia and not familiar with US brands.

#6 ·
Im looking at some small 7.5 watt heaters. I filled a made water bottle with water then added about 3/4s of a teaspoon of aq salt then i poured a few drops of that in. He seems MUCH happier. Im not quite sure why. Were talking a very very small amount of salt here.

#7 ·
Are you using bottled water?

Don't use that, its not good for the betta, use tap water with a dechlorinator you can age it if you want to.

Salt is unnecessary, but helps if u want to use it. Just make sure he is warm and the water is clean. I would change 25% of his water everyday, until the rot is gone.

#8 ·
I used tap, premixed it in a clean Nalgine bottle, then pured in a very small amount. He seems more interested in me than the food I just added though. While doing a 25/50% water change. I would remove water while leaving him in the tank?

#12 ·
My boyfriend has a crown tail just like that!
You are right, there is probably no fin rot, it is coloration.
That being said, you need to pay special attention to the edges of those fins because fin rot and injuries will not be as obvious on him as it would be on other bettas. There was a suggestion to put pantyhose on the filter, however pet stores sell soft, porous covers for the filters that you just slip on the exterior. It refines the filtration system and creates a lower flow. It also eliminates the possibility of your fish being sucked in.

#13 ·
I would get a 25 watt heater for your 3 gallon. The problem with the smaller heaters, like 7.5 watts, is that their temperature is pre-set and you can't manually adjust it. This can lead to temperature fluctuations, especially at night when most people turn their home heat down. You want a heater with manual temperature adjustment.

Eheim Jager and Hydor Theo are both brands that are commonly recommended. Aqueon Pro, too (not the regular Aqueon, has to be Pro), but I'm not sure if they make a 25 watt. I love my Jager- it keeps my tank a steady 78 and I never have to play with the temperature settings.

Marina and BiOrb silk plants are good brands. Try to buy one in person- many silk plants have plastic pieces that will need to cut. My silk plants from Petsmart had to be sanded down on the silk leaf edge because they did not pass the pantyhose test. There is a thread on here about how the Petsmart ones also contain metal that can become exposed. If you want to go with live plants, java fern is nearly impossible to kill and is a good beginner plant.

#14 ·
Also, aquarium salt is very necessary.
If your fish is already in bad condition, as well as having been moved into a new environment, his immune system might be a little impacted. For instance, if you use salt in your water, your fish will never get ich.
However, I agree that it is not necessary right NOW. Some bettas have a bad reaction to salt when they are already stressed / adapting, so the small amount you used is good.
Also, salt helps kill bacteria around open wounds and infection (Like fin rot, if that is what he has), and promotes new slim coating which protects scales and fins, and makes the fish look more vibrant.
In the future, you may want to consider using salt (In varying levels - the same amount of salt each time will lose it's effectiveness as the fish and the bacteria in the water will develop an immunity, same as medicine. I personally put salt in every other batch of water for the water changes, so the levels remain inconsistent) as part of your tank maintenance.

As far as the plants go, I use silk ones, and while I have no experience with real plant, from what I gather you would have to have sand or fine gravel for the plants. If you are okay with that, I'd say go for it, as plants seem to have their own waste-reducing benefits and provide good hiding places. If you are getting a silk plant, get one that mimics the colour of your fish if you can. He may feel safer, or you may see some interesting chameleon effects. :)

If he doesn't eat, that's normal since he just got a new habitat. So you have a waste remover (Looks like a turkey baster)? Those things are excellent for water changes where you don't want to remove the fish. I bought mine for $2CND.

My boyfriend's 2.5g tank has a heater with a thermometer that self-regulates and keeps the water at a certain temperature. If you are getting a heater, a self-regulating one is best. If you think your tank is too small, I assure you, you can find one specifically for your tank size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.