Betta Fish Forum banner

Sand not settling! Can the betta still go in?

975 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  orical154 
#1 ·
I have a 3 gallon tank and i bought some sand for it today. Well i rinsed it but it doesn't settle. Can i place my betta in the tank before it finishes settling or not?

#2 ·
Yeah thats what happened the first time I get fresh sand... I usually wait about a day and if it hasnt settled I still put my fish in... do you have a filter going or have you used one of those de-clouder things? Sometimes those help. And I have put in delicate fish in without the sand completely settled with no ill effects yet.. but thats just me

#4 ·
Usually it will take a while if its grey brown kinda milky like then its dust that hasnt settled and he should be okay, if you still see sand particles floating around then dont put him him.

#7 ·
Oh very nice I really love that little bridge... like I want to steal it... lol I love sand too its great and its so much easier to clean I think. Be sure to make sure there no methane buildup though!

#9 ·
Ha ha thats cute love to see photo's when its done and its really easy if you have plants in the sand they will take care of it for you if you dont just poke with something the sand I'd say every few weeks so gas can escape.

#10 ·
Sometimes a little (very little) pinch of epsom salts will encourage the settling of dust in the water. We're talking less than a half teaspoon to ten gallons so the amount equal to your betta's morning meal is about right in a 1.

You'll be swapping this out later when you do a water change, so its not a long term worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.