Betta Fish Forum banner

Rescued a Cory catfish

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sarada 
#1 ·
Our local pet rescue has me on a list for Betta's in need but called me with a cory catfish knowing I had room. Only problem is he's solo and I know he should be in a school.
I have him in a 5 gallon with my betta now and he's doing well. Having only a 5 gallon tank I probably shouldn't put any more cory's in with my Betta...what do you think? Poor lonely Cory Catfish or should I go get two more?

#5 · (Edited)
I wish you would have asked this before you got the Cory..

5g is not nearly enough for a betta and a school of cories. I recommend upgrading to at least a 10g.
Not everyone can just -upgrade- to a 10g .___.

What kind of 5g tank is it? Topfin? Eclipse hex?

With an 5g eclipse hex you can have 3 panda cory's and a betta and you'd only be pushing 15-20% overstocked, (which also means more work for you during your weekly cleanin) but I've also been told bottom dwellers don't count toward your actual stock but thats probably for larger tanks. If you are more woried about the betta being stressed, he'll probably be fine. Adding 2 more cory's is probably better than having one solo.

#8 ·
thanks Vay...I will get some, I noticed him eating some of the betta pellets that sunk.

Its a 5.5 gallon and it's just rectangular. The cory seems to get along well with the betta and is active and seems to be doing well.

My betta doesn't seem stressed by this little guy at all, they each do their own thing.

#9 ·
I think your 5.5 gallon is fine with 3 cory's just be aware your numbers might change with extra fish in the tank and you may need different water changes (if its cycled of course)

#10 ·
Ya it's all out of wack now that I've recently added the filter. Levels are all good though but I am going to give it some time and watch them before I pick up two more corys.
The only reason I took him is because he had nothing but a bowl at the pet rescue. I figured this was better then that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.