Betta Fish Forum banner

New friends for Jayne

683 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  betta lover1507 
#1 ·
I had to get them! I picked up a couple of ghost shrimp today and I love them! Jayne isn't sure what to think of them, but he's handling the introductions just fine.

Here's Jayne checking one of them out.

Here they are again, introductions are in order! (I love this pic!!)

I'm thinking of naming them Flotsom and Jetsom. Not sure, though.

They are too cute! And they are very active!

See less See more
#3 ·
Shrimp are bottom feeders, so they'll eat anything that floats down to the floor. When I feed Jayne he gets Aqueon pellets and Hikari Brine Shrimp. I will feed him extra pellets that will sink to the bottom. The shrimp will eat that.

Basically, whatever Jayne doesn't eat, the shrimp will.

#8 ·
When I woke up this morning Jayne was acting funny. He was barely swimming and if he got too close to the filter he had a hard time swimming against it. I decided to remove the shrimp and do a 100% water change.

It turns out shrimp can jump. I had the shrimp in a small cup. I didn't think anything of it. Went to put them in a larger holding tank and there was only one! I looked all over for the second. I found him on my floor. He's the same color as my carpet! So I got him back in the cup and went to the kitchen to grab something, came back and he was gone again! I was away for 10 seconds!

I found him again and put him back in his tank. He's not moving much, but he's still alive. I have both shrimp in QT from Jayne's tank for now.

The good news is after the 100% water change and some brine shrimp treats Jayne seems to be back to his normal self.

I'm going to keep the shrimp seperate for a few days and see what happens with them. They were only .33¢, so if they die I don't feel like I'm out a whole lot.

#10 ·
They should be. I have a bunch of shrimp in my sorority tank, last count was 4 amano shrimp and 6 ghosts. Shrimp are, in my humble opinion, the best algae and leftover food eaters. They are also adorable. When I introduced them to the tank my girls were very interested in nibbling at them, but luckily they can flick away fast enough that the girls couldn't follow and quickly lost interest in eating them.
I do recommend having lots of little hidey holes for them to hang out in.

Also, I tried to add cherry shrimp, but i think they stood out too much, being red and all, and the girls were able to follow and eat them. So, to be on the safe side I would stick with the mostly clearish shrimp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.