Betta Fish Forum banner

Where does evereybody get snails?!?!?!

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 ·
Hello people, Saphira here. :p
WHERE do you all get your snails? I have seen some mystery snails at petsmart, but that's it. where do you guys find your ramshorn/apple snails? do you buy them, or are they just hanging out on the plants from the pet stores? I want to get some locally for free/cheap/on plants to put with my bettas or in my tropical community.

Thank you, ~Saphira :)

#8 ·
from what i have been told, mystery and apple snails are one and the same! if there is a difference in them, please tell me. If you get a mystery, than expect it to grow about the size of a baseball or softball, depending on tempreture. They get BIG in warmer water, mine are bigger than a golf ball and were sold as mystery/apple snails at a local store.

#23 · (Edited)
Mystery Snails are a TYPE of Apple Snail. Kind of like a Dashound is a type of dog, but there are different types with different adult sizes, like the difference between Yorkies and Great Danes. :-D

Also, got my 3 mystery snails from petsmart. A blue, black, and ivory. Such pretty little things.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
The family run Lfs has a a lot of different snails, everything but Mts, pond, and assassin.
But I got all mine from aquabid. You can generally get a bunch of them for like 3 bucks

#11 ·
They are indeed both part of the same family but just a different species. The family known as apple snails are ampullariidae and include several species: lanistes, pila, marisa, and pomacea. The last of which the is the species in which the "mystery snail" belongs to, pomacea bridgesii for those who care.

Edit: Sorry for all the technical terms but I just love research and tend to go overboard.

#13 ·
Trapdoor snails - took out of a lake and then they reproduced.
rabbit snails - got from a member on here
Nerite - got off ebay

Petco sometimes has apple snails but its like once every 6 months

#20 ·
Ask at your local PetSmart or PetCo if they have any Pond Snails or Ramshorn Snails. If they sell live plants in a tank they probably have them. They are free, as they are considered pests. I saw two Ramshorns at my PetSmart today in with the mondo grass. I wanted them really bad, but I have no where to put them. :-(

#25 ·
Petsmart/Petco do sell apple snails under the name mystery snail. They sell a lot of snails as mystery snails. I have found apple and zebra nerites at both chains. Aquabid.com is a great place for snails. azgardens.com also sell Nerites that are acclimated for freshwater. Aquabid is a better choice for small numbers and cheaper shipping cost though.

#26 ·
Striking betta btw. I'm not familiar with the ramshorn (?) snails you mentioned. I purchased 2 gold and 3 black mystery snails at Petco. In doing some reading, I'm wondering if they are the same as apple snails??? I thought of getting a coiuple of apple snails until I read they have voracious appetites and like to eat live plants.... Do you know if this is true? I'm also looking for smaller snails that will reproduce (my fish will like to eat them) but won't eat my plants. Can you make any recommendations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.