Betta Fish Forum banner

blue-green algae! help!

8K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  marktrc 
#1 ·
Uggghghhh I've had a bit of a blue green algae problem in my 10 gallon tank. It began when my tank started getting direct sunlight in the afternoons. It got under control enough for my snails to eat it when I stopped turning on the tank lights... but then my plants were dying because it wasn't getting direct sunlight for long enough. Anyway, i started turning on the tank lights again, but the BGA came back. it wasn't too noticeable until I switched from dark gravel to white sand... within a few days the sand was coated with BGA! ewwwww. My snails don't eat it off of the sand :roll:. So I tried to vacuum it up tonight, but it's too heavy to get sucked up all the way. It comes off in nasty sheets. :sick: So I vacuumed it and dropped the algae in piles and I had to scoop it out with a net. It's really bad. How do I get rid of it?!

#27 ·
Vacuuming the gravel is what did it for me. And 50% water changes.

I recommend your using the Maracyn or other Erythomycin as directed. I really don't think it will do anything bad to water or plants, or Nitrifying bacteria (good bacteria).

Steven

#29 ·
did a second black out but used foil and masking tape instead of towels. apparently the towels didnt block out all the light. now I see no sign of bga. I did it for 5 days. the fish seem stressed and one female betta died. they didnt come out to eat much because it was so dark. plants look fine.

#31 ·
ive use ethromycin before. while it is one of the meds that most fish seem to tolerate it did kill 2 of my cories. dont know if I spelled that right. ethromycin also is not cheap esp if you have a large tank. I have been experimenting with black outs as they are almost free to do and so far seems as safe as ethromycin. results may vary.

now that my bga seems to be gone, I plan to add more circulation. this seems to be one the common causes of bga. I have researched and tried a hydor nano 240.. it is a small circulation pump. this turned out to be too much circulation even for my 55gal. I believe many people who run this small hydor use it for reefs or plants but for bettas it is prob too much unless you have hard scape or something ro provide sheltered areas.

next im going to try a small internal filter or something adjustable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.