Betta Fish Forum banner

Is blindness hereditary?

461 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JandE Pets 
#1 ·
I went to PetCo and noticed this big eared salmon colored HM PK male was blind, so i "Saved it".i was wondering if the blindness is hereditary?

Also anyone have experience on a HMPK x CT spawning?

#2 ·
Could be unless it was caused by environmental factors. Dont know how you could breed a blind fish anyway since he cant see the girl.

Hmpk x ct = longfinned fish with varying amounts of web reduction. You could get some short fins if the ct is carrying pk also.

#6 ·
I do agree that you shouldn't breed a blind betta.
But if you had a spawn and one of the fry were blind or became blind, you don't have to cull the healthy siblings.
Blindness due to dragon scaling might be hereditary. It would be best to cross it and or its siblings to a non dragon (before it goes totally blind)

#7 ·
Thank you for the responses.

when i put him into the new tank; the next morning he had a bubble nets built. hes not 100% blind, he can see out of one but its still cloudy. he can follow food thou i notice not as quickly as the others. i havent a clue if he is a dragon scale, but it looks cloudy not scaly.

wasn't planing on breeding him just because as MattsBettas said too much stress on him. i bought him cause as soon as i pointed out he was blind he was put in the back not a chance of getting picked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.