Betta Fish Forum banner

Theodore in a new home and lethargic with cold temps. --Questions.

655 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  charliehasacola 
#1 ·
My baby girl is not doing as well as she was when I brought her home. She just sits around, swimming every once-in-a-while to breathe and change position. She isn't accepting food that she was when I got her. I recently aquired a large animal cracker bin that is at least two gallons. I was thing about using it to put her in so she has a larger home. I also noticed her water is ice cold. This is probably why she isn't eating and why she isn't active. What could I do to heat a large plastic bin, or her little less-than-a-gallon critter keeper?

Please help me.

♥Charlie.

#2 ·
You could try putting a desk lamp over it and turning it on that should warm the water a few degrees in the small one gallon but only in the day time because you need to turn it off at night so she can rest. I am not sure about useing the animal cracker thing but if others say it should be fine then you could get a small tetra heater from Walmart for a 2 gallon they are only about $13.00 I think. I have them in all my 2 gallon tanks and they keep the tanks nice and warm. Good luck with her.

#6 ·
The heaters have suction cups that keep the heater from actually touching the plastic plus I don't think it will get hot enough to melt plastic because then they would not be safe to be in the tanks because the fish would get burt if it touched it. I also have the whisper tetra heater in several of my tanks and they seem to be great little heaters. if you are still worried you could always set it up and leave it for 24 hours to check it before you put your fish in it. Good luck with her.

#8 ·
No bettas like it to be between 76-80 just keep an eye on the temometer to make sure it doesn't get to hot.

#9 ·
My mum had a freak and I wasn't allowed to bring the bin. I did get a lamp to warm the water and it was much warmer this time anyways. She's a lot more active and is eating well. (I'm watching her eat right now) and she's changed color a lot. Also, I have found her to be a he! His fins have grown out a lot and the egg spot is gone. The gill membrane under his chin is still awedully short and I haven't seen him flare his gills, but he flares his fins all the time. I would like to re-name him as well. I love him so much. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.