Betta Fish Forum banner

Water problems

394 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ScuitoAmi150 
#1 ·
Today I'm going to clean all of my tanks. Problem is that our water filter just broke! There are particals in the water. Our Brita water filter is also gross (makes the water taste nasty). I just don't feel comfortable putting either of those waters in my fish' tanks.

The tap water is from a well. I'm not sure if it'd be okay to use it though because it has a metally taste to it. Which is why we have been using a hooked up water filter.
Would it be okay to use the tap water?

#2 ·
How old are your pipes and what kind of pipes are used with the well?

Not all well water is created equal....lol....I have and use water from a well and have for near 30 years without any problems, not to say you will not...... I would do a test with your well water and a fish/tank before I did it with all of them.

Changing from one source water to another needs to be done slow and careful...Too large and too fast of water chemistry change can shock if not kill the fish, so I would pick a test tank and then do 10% water only changes daily with an increase in percent every 5 days until you reach 50%- monitoring the fish closely and be ready to move the fish back to its regular source water.

It can be risky in some...not all cases......

#3 ·
How old are your pipes and what kind of pipes are used with the well?

Not all well water is created equal....lol....I have and use water from a well and have for near 30 years without any problems, not to say you will not...... I would do a test with your well water and a fish/tank before I did it with all of them.

Changing from one source water to another needs to be done slow and careful...Too large and too fast of water chemistry change can shock if not kill the fish, so I would pick a test tank and then do 10% water only changes daily with an increase in percent every 5 days until you reach 50%- monitoring the fish closely and be ready to move the fish back to its regular source water.

It can be risky in some...not all cases......
I have no clue what kind of pipes it is that we have. All I know is that there is a bunch of minerals in the water.

Okay, I'll try slowly converting a tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.