Betta Fish Forum banner

Thai's gills are discolored

868 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  BlueHaven 
#1 ·
I got my betta fish Thai, two weeks ago. Well, this weekend, saturday will be 2 weeks. Anyway, When I got him I didn't have a heater. I had a thermometer though and kept the tempurature as steady as possible till I got the heater last weekend. He has been doing great; lively and happy but he did have small tears in his fin from a plastic plant, which I replaced with a silk plant last weekend too. His tail is healing up since I've been keeping api aquarium salt in his water and I did a couple of water changes to keep it clean. (Not 100 percent, but I did a couple changes when I noticed his tail was hurt over 3 days to make it 100 percent.)
That seems to be working, but this week it took a couple of days to get the heater set right, so the tempurature has been on the warmer side, but it's been going up and down those couple of days. The heater is set now at 77 degrees at all times. But this morning I noticed his gills has a discoloration to them on the outer edges. I'm worried, he seems to be acting normal other than that. What could it be? I'm about to check the water to make sure it's okay. This week I did two 10-15 percent water changes (using conditioner and bacteria supplement, and keeping the tempurature as close as possible).
His color seems good but on his stomach it is greyish colored, lighter colors of them same colors he is.
I thought it was just his coloration, but is it possible the tempurature fluctuating too much has caused this?
He seems strong, but I did noticed that he can't swim past one of the big leaves from the silk plant, he trys to push past it but it looks to heavy for him. Is this normal could it be a problem?
I may be overworrying about that one. I'm staying calm though. :)
I'm going to the petstore tomorrow and getting him some treats, probably Hikari brand bloodworms or one of those treats that is available in store.
What should I do to help him get better besides keeping his temperature steady now, is there any medicine I should get him?

I'm about to check his water quality with my test kit, i'll post what it is when i'm done. If you need a picture I can try to do this too, just let me know.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
okay, thank you very much. :)
I'm checking the water now, but i'll try to get a picture here in just a few minutes. :)
Okay, I got two pictures and am uploading them now, but so far the Ammonia level is 0 and The Ph is 7.2, which is what it stays at.

#4 ·
I'm sorry i'm taking so long to respond, my internet is very slow right now, haha
But I will post the 2 pictures as soon as they actually load to my album.
I think that it is just his coloring, because he is eating good, he gets excited when I put pellets in. I looked up some other pictures of bettas with similar colors to him and they have similar colors that I noticed. It worried me because it appeared over night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.